Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a prime Arturo Gatti competed against today's top JWW/WW fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatti would win some and lose some.
    Most of the fighters you named haven't been in enough "fights" to know if they could handle Gatti.
    Gatti in his prime was a beast, everyone is judging him by Oscar, Floyd (Gatti was done at this point) and fights after his prime was over.
    Thurman, Porter and Crawford have yet to face the level of excellence that Gatti had for over a decade. Gatti could take a punch and give a punch, these 3 have faced mostly easy opponents.

Gatti would have held his own in any era, he had the chin, heart and punch to win.
    People should watch some Gatti fights before thinking he is a joke, he will probably be remembered more than the fighters you listed.

Comment

Compete? Yes. How successful would he be? Not very, Crawford, Khan, Porter, Bradley, Garcia, Thurman would beat him pretty handily IMO. Gatti was a reasonably small Welter.

Matthysee, Broner, Prov might end up being wars though, Gatti always brought it though.

Comment

short answer yes

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
          Are they? You've deduced that by watching Gatti vs Floyd/Oscar and Crawford vs Dulorme/Beltran ...

There was a young up coming fighter named Zab Judah who everyone thought was the next big thing... He went 12 with Mickey Ward... Judah's Power>Crawford's Power
          You make some good points. Maybe we're making some hasty comments. I would bet most of those other guys would beat Gatti but maybe I'm just remembering the fights where Gatti looked bad or was reckless. I would consider Thurman to be a heavy favourite because he can outbox Gatti and he's got good power. Porter might walk through Gatti just because of his strength and speed. But who knows for sure. Provodnikov vs Gatti would be interesting.
          I just can't help remember how badly Baldomir and Gomez beat the hell out of Arturo. Those were extreme beatings. But Gatti was very faded at the time.

Another thing about Gatti is that he wasn't a very big guy and when he started getting hit he would always resort to brawling. That's something that would end badly if he were fighting some of these welterweights.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2012 View Post
            Gatti would win some and lose some.
            Most of the fighters you named haven't been in enough "fights" to know if they could handle Gatti.
            Gatti in his prime was a beast, everyone is judging him by Oscar, Floyd (Gatti was done at this point) and fights after his prime was over.
            Thurman, Porter and Crawford have yet to face the level of excellence that Gatti had for over a decade. Gatti could take a punch and give a punch, these 3 have faced mostly easy opponents.

Gatti would have held his own in any era, he had the chin, heart and punch to win.
            People should watch some Gatti fights before thinking he is a joke, he will probably be remembered more than the fighters you listed.
            As of right now, yes he probably would be remembered more than the fighters listed. Although Khan seems to have a degree of fame. Not sure Gatti could beat the better fighters in that list though.

Comment

Originally posted by Damn Wicked View Post
              You make some good points. Maybe we're making some hasty comments. I would bet most of those other guys would beat Gatti but maybe I'm just remembering the fights where Gatti looked bad or was reckless. I would consider Thurman to be a heavy favourite because he can outbox Gatti and he's got good power. Porter might walk through Gatti just because of his strength and speed. But who knows for sure. Provodnikov vs Gatti would be interesting.
              I just can't help remember how badly Baldomir and Gomez beat the hell out of Arturo. Those were extreme beatings. But Gatti was very faded at the time.

Another thing about Gatti is that he wasn't a very big guy and when he started getting hit he would always resort to brawling. That's something that would end badly if he were fighting some of these welterweights.
              Yes but Baldomir would walk through Porter and Thurman no? Baldomir is a level above the Luis Collazo's of the world.

You say he might crumble but we have 3 fights in his prime when he took hellacious punches vs Ward. Thurman I think has the best chance since he is such an intelligent boxer and will stay away.

Comment

Working...
              X