Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Loeffler: Banks Was The Only Coach on Golovkin's Short List

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    On Saturday afternoon at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, former unified middleweight champion Gennady "GGG" Golovkin announced his new trainer, former cruiserweight and heavyweight contender Johnathon Banks.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    The Miser knows who to screw. No one expected him to go to Roach or Mayweather or any trainers who charge for their services. He wanted someone who can work for a t - shirt.

Comment

Re

Pretty obvious why he chose Banks. The Russian connection : Banks trained Wlad.

Comment

I hope New coach Will make Golovkin's inside fighting better. They always talk about mexican style, but he likes to keep his opponents at the distance. I don't think he fights well on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by SHO_RULEZ View Post
          Pretty obvious why he chose Banks. The Russian connection : Banks trained Wlad.
          Or the Brixton connection (Dillian Whyte) lol.

Banks is still a puppy at 36, would be nice if he could carry everything Emanuel Steward taught him to another generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pplapu View Post
            I hope New coach Will make Golovkin's inside fighting better. They always talk about mexican style, but he likes to keep his opponents at the distance. I don't think he fights well on the inside.
            Agree 100%. His inside game is lacking. He has good power on short punches and is physically strong so he has a good start to build on. I remember watching a video on Duran and his inside game. With Duran it was a science. Don't know if he can absorb enough knowledge for a rematch in Sept. if it happens. Then there is the problem of subconsciously going back to old ways. Going to the gym and hitting the mitts over and over isn't getting it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Pplapu View Post
              It is common sense to use the jab and keep the fight at distance, and control it that way. Less risky.

He has probably slowed down some since then but his fight with Ouma earlier in his career was basically a phone booth fight. Probably my favorite fight of his.

Basically I think he can definitely fight on the inside and there is footage of it, but it is suicidal to make a living on inside fighting. If you stay on the inside too long you are bound to get caught. Have to get in and get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
                It is common sense to use the jab and keep the fight at distance, and control it that way. Less risky.

He has probably slowed down some since then but his fight with Ouma earlier in his career was basically a phone booth fight. Probably my favorite fight of his.

Basically I think he can definitely fight on the inside and there is footage of it, but it is suicidal to make a living on inside fighting. If you stay on the inside too long you are bound to get caught. Have to get in and get out.
                Duran was a master of it. He destroyed guys on the inside and stayed there untill the guy finally broke free. The guy was very crafty.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                  Duran was a master of it. He destroyed guys on the inside and stayed there untill the guy finally broke free. The guy was very crafty.
                  I remember seeing a video about Duran fighting on the inside and I think a big part of his technique was hitting and holding? Which I like a little of, but in general I don't think you can make a career on getting away with that.

Holding a guy there is one way to get him to stay, but otherwise to really get into the infighting you need a dance partner. And no one, not even Canelo in the 2nd fight, wants to stand in front of GGG all day. That's exactly where he wants you.

I've also seen that GGG loves to lead in with his head on the inside and lean head to head with his opponent. But lately the ref, especially with Canelo, always calls that off. I think he would like to sit in there more if he could, it's just you can't make a guy stay there, not if the ref isn't allowing it.

Just my 2 cents.

Pretty good video
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ2GrBRNxY

Also round 6 and 7 against Stevens I remember he had some good inside work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpBINn9cC7A

Comment

I think it was Canelo who forced GGG to lower his punch output because the latter was wary of getting countered by a faster opponent. This was especially noticeable in the first fight when Canelo rested against the ropes and invited GGG to bring it. And GGG for the most part declined.

In contrast, there was wrong with GGG's output against Vanes.

Comment

I think the main reason Banks was chosen was because he wouldn't mind living and training with Golovkin in Europe, before moving camp to the US. Banks was based in Europe, I believe, when he took over training responsibilities for Wladimir.

Maybe he came cheap too.

Comment

Working...
                      X