Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a shorter than average height boxer dominate heavyweight boxing like Klitschko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a shorter than average height boxer dominate heavyweight boxing like Klitschko?

If you had a boxer shorter than average height and reach in the heavyweight division, could they dominate the heavyweight division to the same extent and the level of domination as the Klitschko brothers?

What I mean by 'domination' is winning the bouts by the same margin as the Klitschko brothers, which is to rarely get hit whilst landing at a similar connect rate as the Klitschkos, winning virtually every round against every type of opponent in every bout whilst knocking almost every opponent out with the exception of a few. Not to mention, having the same amount of longevity as the Klitschko brothers whilst we're at it.

I understand peak Mike Tyson was one of the boxers that ticked some of those boxes. However, he didn't tick the longevity box / department. He rarely got hit in his prime, rarely lost rounds, knocked most of his opponents out and landed punches at a very accurate percentage in an effective manner. He wasn't at the top for very long though like the Klitschko brothers were.

Is it possible for a modern heavyweight boxer that is below average height and reach to dominate to such an extent whilst also having a similar amount of longevity as the Klitschko brothers? Do you think we will ever see a boxer like that in the future?

Tyson could've done it too if he didn't get involved with Don King. As long as the fighter is technically sound I can see them ruling the heavyweight division.

Comment

clinching is crap

Comment

Somebody who is quick, iron chinned and dynamic can, like Tyson.

Comment

Here we go with people & their "Prime Mike Tyson" logic.. lol
          If a guy could stay at range & box, Mike couldn't have done a great deal(Douglas).. Prime Lennox Lewis would have KOed Mike Tyson even in his prime, because he knew how to clinch/hold & shut out inside work.. But unlike Klitschkos, Lennox used to slug it out too, but he wouldn't do it with someone like Tyson..

Coming to the OP question, since Tyson, the HWs were well over 6'3 & all had a long reach & knew how to use them & a shorter guy like Tyson/Frazier would be good but never rule like the other taller HWs...

Comment

Short fighters tend to need to be very explosive, have great stamina, great chins and heart.

These types of fighters often burn out quick due to the physical and psychological intensity needed to overcome their stature.

Never say never, but it would take an exceptional talent.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
              Here we go with people & their "Prime Mike Tyson" logic.. lol
              If a guy could stay at range & box, Mike couldn't have done a great deal(Douglas).. Prime Lennox Lewis would have KOed Mike Tyson even in his prime, because he knew how to clinch/hold & shut out inside work.. But unlike Klitschkos, Lennox used to slug it out too, but he wouldn't do it with someone like Tyson..

Coming to the OP question, since Tyson, the HWs were well over 6'3 & all had a long reach & knew how to use them & a shorter guy like Tyson/Frazier would be good but never rule like the other taller HWs...
              Yeah man he totally fought Douglas when he was in his prime right? Didn't leave Rooney a couple fights before on Don Snake's request?

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
                Yeah man he totally fought Douglas when he was in his prime right? Didn't leave Rooney a couple fights before on Don Snake's request?
                Yeah Mike fought Douglas in his prime and came up short.. my point was people put too much emphasis on prime Mike Tyson and start their mythical analysis.. All I was saying was, a prime Mike Tyson would have lost to Prime Lennox, Holyfield or a really good tall HWs who could stay at range and box him..

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                  Yeah Mike fought Douglas in his prime and came up short.. my point was people put too much emphasis on prime Mike Tyson and start their mythical analysis.. All I was saying was, a prime Mike Tyson would have lost to Prime Lennox, Holyfield or a really good tall HWs who could stay at range and box him..
                  I disagree. Confidence and discipline is 80% of success. That's why Tyson went down. Lewis in the 80's and early 90's was succeptible to KO's. I think you conveniently forgot 2 or them.
                  However, I must admit you do make a good point, and quite frankly we just have opinion and we'll never really know.

Comment

The principles are painfully obvious but we somehow forget; The smaller boxer is disadvantaged. A smaller boxer must be better in other ways in order to make up for it. Problem is, Wlad and Vitali (let's add Lewis too) were physically huge, plus they had skill, and approached boxing in a chess-like way where they strategically shifted things in their favor. To overcome that, a smaller guy must be THAT MUCH better in other departments.

Comment

Working...
                    X