No announcement yet.

After what Dempsey did to Sharkie, i have no sympathy for his long count

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After what Dempsey did to Sharkie, i have no sympathy for his long count

Throwing low blows and then dropping a left hook during what would conceivebly be a break to at least let the ref know hes hitting low at the very least that was some dirty ****. He deserved what he got in the Tunney rematch. Im not hating on dempsey altogether, but i am saying, how you gonna lowblow for an entire fight practically to break down an opponent and then deck his ass like that? That was just wrong

Sharkey lost to Jack Dempsey because of blatant low blows, while he was DQ'd against Max Schmeling (Dempsey look-a-like) for landing one punch below the belt.

He was winning both fights clearly before that.

I don't see the controversy about Dempsey-Tunney II since Dempsey didn't go to the neutral corner. You're not supposed to begin the count until the fighter goes to a neutral corner.

Jack Dempsey himself admitted that he lost fair and square and that he thought he was lucky to have the referee give a "long count" since people after the fight came up to him to say he was "cheated" out of a win over Tunney. He was losing badly and was never in the fight outside of the one knockdown he scored.
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Jack Dempsey's career is filled with controversial fights...sadly most of them were high profile.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        Sharkey lost to Jack Dempsey because of blatant low blows, while he was DQ'd against Max Schmeling (Dempsey look-a-like) for landing one punch below the belt.

He was winning both fights clearly before that.

I don't see the controversy about Dempsey-Tunney II since Dempsey didn't go to the neutral corner. You're not supposed to begin the count until the fighter goes to a neutral corner.

Jack Dempsey himself admitted that he lost fair and square and that he thought he was lucky to have the referee give a "long count" since people after the fight came up to him to say he was "cheated" out of a win over Tunney. He was losing badly and was never in the fight outside of the one knockdown he scored.

Ironically i read it was dempsey that was pushing for the neutral corner rule. Had Dempsey gathered himself he might have actually won the crown back.

GreatA

what do you think about Wills vs Dempsey and do you have any footage online of Wills in action?

Comment

Dempsey vs Sharkey IMO shows Dempsey at his best, bobbing & weaving, slipping punches, throwing hooks, jabs, combos and the footwork of a master boxer...its a complete contrast to the Dempsey vs Willard footage where Dempsey looks to be throwing wild arm punches, infact its the improvement in technology why he looks better against Sharkey, its the improvement in cameras and film-footage whereas the Willard fight was old Flicker-Film and was difficult to make a real judgement of fighters filmed with it.. but to those who claim Dempsey was over-rated i say watch him against Sharkey

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            Dempsey vs Sharkey IMO shows Dempsey at his best, bobbing & weaving, slipping punches, throwing hooks, jabs, combos and the footwork of a master boxer...its a complete contrast to the Dempsey vs Willard footage where Dempsey looks to be throwing wild arm punches, infact its the improvement in technology why he looks better against Sharkey, its the improvement in cameras and film-footage whereas the Willard fight was old Flicker-Film and was difficult to make a real judgement of fighters filmed with it.. but to those who claim Dempsey was over-rated i say watch him against Sharkey
            I didint say or imply he was overrated.

Also, he threw wild punches against willard because he knew willard had no shot of actually moving out of the way. Willard was too robotic to contend with that.

Comment

Jack Dempsey was a Beast in the Ring

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
                Ironically i read it was dempsey that was pushing for the neutral corner rule. Had Dempsey gathered himself he might have actually won the crown back.

GreatA

what do you think about Wills vs Dempsey and do you have any footage online of Wills in action?
                I don't really know about Wills vs Dempsey. The early reports from the 1910's describe Wills as fast and athletic for his size, but as he got older he was described as slow, sluggish by the mid 1920's when he was closing 40 years of age. The fight would have been ideal in 1919 when both were at their best.

Here's footage of near 40 year old Wills being KO'd by Paulino Uzcudun:

8:40

Footage of a younger Harry Wills hoping to get a shot at Dempsey:

WHIRLWIND WILLS WINS

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                  I don't really know about Wills vs Dempsey. The early reports from the 1910's describe Wills as fast and athletic for his size, but as he got older he was described as slow, sluggish by the mid 1920's when he was closing 40 years of age. The fight would have been ideal in 1919 when both were at their best.

Here's footage of near 40 year old Wills being KO'd by Paulino Uzcudun:

8:40

Footage of a younger Harry Wills hoping to get a shot at Dempsey:

WHIRLWIND WILLS WINS

i think Dempsey would have slaughtered Wills, old fight magazines and books from that era talk about the greatness of Jack Dempsey not the greatness of Harry Wills

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    i think Dempsey would have slaughtered Wills, old fight magazines and books from that era talk about the greatness of Jack Dempsey not the greatness of Harry Wills
                    Wills was still great enough so that no one wanted to step in the ring with him for a long time. When you look at the names he beat compared to Dempsey, one has to admit that Wills has the better resume of the two.

I believe the aging Wills could have been a good match-up for Dempsey but it's difficult to say. Dempsey also went on the decline after his Willard win and doesn't look highly impressive against Firpo, Gibbons. He was hit a lot against Firpo, Carpentier, Brennan and a 6'3, 210+ lb man with 54 career knockouts was surely a threat to him, more so than the natural light heavyweights Dempsey defended his title against.

Comment

Working...
                    X