Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If toe to toe fights are made up of unskilled brawlers .....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flawless 2 View Post
    Because they usually outbox their opponent
    Ok. Shouldnt that be something great then? Shouldnt that be something that everyone should be giving praise to? Why isnt a 12 round boxing lesson ever considered for FOTY? U know why? Because it lacks drama. It lacks the entertainment that toe-toe fights bring. Its like going to a basketball game, and watching both teams do nothing but layups rather than shoot for 3-pointers or dunks. Its like going to a baseball game and watching each hitter go for only infield hits. Its like going to a football game and watch both teams try and score via field-goals and a running game only. Most fans who pay to watch teams/athletes perform, go for the entertainment. They want to see homeruns! They want to see long thrown touchdown passes. They want to see KO's.

Now i have nothing against technical/defensive fighters. The man in my avi is a very technical fighter, yet he brings a sense of excitiment into the ring with him. He doesnt come into the ring with the mindset of playing it safe while in return trying to jab and outpoint his opponent to a decision. He takes it to his opponent. He attempts to put him away in a very technical methodical way. He's not a bore to watch.

If half of these boxers nowaday's were actual fighters in the gladiator days, they would be fed to the lions! Its as if some of u guys blame sports fans for wanting to see some excitement and drama in these events.

Comment

Originally posted by deevel79 View Post
      Castillo/Corrales - FOTY
      Marquez/Vasquez - FOTY

What others?
      marquez vs vasquez was a display of solid power punching from both men.

castillo vs corrales was a picture perfect inside-fighting war. it never got sloppy...unforunately, both men were never the same again.

there are plenty of "beautiful" wars in boxing...ie: toney vs nunn.

Comment

Ok. Shouldnt that be something great then? Shouldnt that be something that everyone should be giving praise to? Why isnt a 12 round boxing lesson ever considered for FOTY? U know why? Because it lacks drama. It lacks the entertainment that toe-toe fights bring. Its like going to a basketball game, and watching both teams do nothing but layups rather than shoot for 3-pointers or dunks. Its like going to a baseball game and watching each hitter go for only infield hits. Its like going to a football game and watch both teams try and score via field-goals and a running game only. Most fans who pay to watch teams/athletes perform, go for the entertainment. They want to see homeruns! They want to see long thrown touchdown passes. They want to see KO's.

Now i have nothing against technical/defensive fighters. The man in my avi is a very technical fighter, yet he brings a sense of excitiment into the ring with him. He doesnt come into the ring with the mindset of playing it safe while in return trying to jab and outpoint his opponent to a decision. He takes it to his opponent. He attempts to put him away in a very technical methodical way. He's not a bore to watch.

If half of these boxers nowaday's were actual fighters in the gladiator days, they would be fed to the lions! Its as if some of u guys blame sports fans for wanting to see some excitement and drama in these events.
        It lacks drama because they are outboxing their opponent and not getting hit. The sole purpose of fighting, if you survive 12 rounds hitting your opponent without them hitting you are something special. Not closing your eyes and swinging away.

Comment

Hmmm... Possibly another Margarito praise/Floyd hate thread???

Comment

It lacks drama because they are outboxing their opponent and not getting hit. The sole purpose of fighting, if you survive 12 rounds hitting your opponent without them hitting you are something special. Not closing your eyes and swinging away.
            Ok, so let me ask this. Which fight did u enjoy more.

Juan Manuel Marquez/Pacman or Floyd/Baldomir?

Comment

Of course I would enjoy the more evenly match fight that is human nature I would watch India beat Sri Lanka at soccer 4-3. Then England smash France 6-0.

Of course boxer who dominates a fighter for 12 rounds will not get fight of the year, because it isn't really a fight just a beat down.

Comment

Of course I would enjoy the more evenly match fight that is human nature I would watch India beat Sri Lanka at soccer 4-3. Then England smash France 6-0.

Of course boxer who dominates a fighter for 12 rounds will not get fight of the year, because it isn't really a fight just a beat down.
                U consider Floyd's 12 round shut out of Baldomir a "beat down"? Yes he outpointed him for 12 rounds, but in no way did he give Baldomir a beatdown. Now Gatti was a beatdown.

Comment

U consider Floyd's 12 round shut out of Baldomir a "beat down"? Yes he outpointed him for 12 rounds, but in no way did he give Baldomir a beatdown. Now Gatti was a beatdown.
                  Consider what you may but you got my point at least

Comment

In boxing it's beyond the whole skill and style.

In FOTY, the fight has to tell a story. I mean think about it. 12 rounds is an awful long way to go if it's an intense pace.

Take the Cotto/Margarito fight for example. Cotto was boxing the hell out of Margarito. He was stickin him, throwing combinations, out pointing him, moving...the whole 9 yards.

But somehow, Margarito's determination started to dominate. Margarito continued to move forward. From one fighter being completed beat, it moves to another fight who's getting "beat up".

FOTY has to incoprorate skill, finesse, will, determination, style. But it also has to have a twist of drama.

The Gatti/Ward Trilogy was a great fight and all they were doing was staying toe to toe with each other....but those fights also had drama. 30 rounds and nobody got knocked out? That's pretty amazing.

Comment

Yea, I knew where this was going.

Comment

Working...
                      X