Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has been the most effective style over the years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has been the most effective style over the years?

What has been the most effective style over the years. Name one and explain why.
    Thanks.

Boxer Puncher styles have always been effective, such as Hearns, Robinson, Louis, Charles, and Foster(Bobby) to name a few. I cant prove its the msot effective, but when used well its very destructive, making use of power and combination punching skills along with accuracy isntead of just swinging like a madman. Even if swinging like a madman tends to work. (I'm looking at you Marciano and Basilio =] )

Comment

I don't think there's any one "most effective style".....it really just boils down to what works best for a particular fighter. The best style is whatever works.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        I don't think there's any one "most effective style".....it really just boils down to what works best for a particular fighter. The best style is whatever works.

Poet
        excellent point. And it depends on who you fight
        Frazier style>Ali but Frazier style "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to poet682006 again"

Comment

Guys with good jabs. Yeah every boxer has a jab but i'm talking about perfection of it. Like a larry holmes type jab. This is part of the reason wlad is so dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
            Boxer Puncher styles have always been effective, such as Hearns, Robinson, Louis, Charles, and Foster(Bobby) to name a few. I cant prove its the msot effective, but when used well its very destructive, making use of power and combination punching skills along with accuracy isntead of just swinging like a madman. Even if swinging like a madman tends to work. (I'm looking at you Marciano and Basilio =] )
            would you put Lennox in that category?

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

Poet
              Truth, but I'd say that boxer-punchers have generally had the most success under the Queensbury rules.

Even if swinging like a madman tends to work. (I'm looking at you Marciano and Basilio =] )
              There was a lot more to Marciano and Basilio than "swinging like a madman".

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
                would you put Lennox in that category?
                Yes, but i do wish that he used his jab a little more often in some fights.

There was a lot more to Marciano and Basilio than "swinging like a madman".[/QUOTE]

Im aware there was more to them. But their punches weren't as educated as guys like Joe Louis or Larry Holmes.

Don't Get me wrong, im a huge fan of both men, but they were primarily brawlers. Hell because they're brawlers is why there so fun to watch.

Brawlers (if their good) can also dominate because of their physical abilities. Marciano never lost, Frazier was dominant while Ali was away and beat him when he came back ( although IMO Frazier is more of inside swarmer with huge left hooks) and Tyson was dominant in his prime.

But Brawlers tend to lose prime quickly because of the physical cost of their styles :/

Comment

But Brawlers tend to lose prime quickly because of the physical cost of their styles :/
                  I think it's more a case of short-armed pressure fighters having short primes......The physical cost is they have to work twice as hard as other fighters in order to be effective and it burns their bodies out.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
                    What has been the most effective style over the years. Name one and explain why.
                    Thanks.
                    i like a counter punchers style,i think it mixes both defense and offense together,nobody perfected the style better than wilfredo benitez

Comment

Working...
                    X