No announcement yet.

Let's be honest. The Welterweight division is pretty overrated right now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's be honest. The Welterweight division is pretty overrated right now

People are overrating this division bigly because of the good old days.

We had 2 ATGs best of their generation in this same division, and we also had a period where there were many great fighters operating in it at the same time.

Like prime Cotto, prime Margarito, prime PAC, prime Floyd, Mosley, Paul Williams etc. And even then there were some solid B guys on the lower end of the welterweight rankings like Clottey, prime Berto & prime Collazo who weren't great, but in their prime they would give you a run for your money, certainly no pushovers.

Now if you look at Welter there are some top guys like Thurman and Spence, who would give the best of 08-10 a tough fight but would ultimately come up short. And then there are bang average guys like Porter, Brook, Bradley and Garcia (who was great at 140 not 147).

I think underrated divisions include 154 and 160.
    154 has Charlo, Lara, Andrade and Lubin who are really good. I would argue that 154 is on par with welterweight if not better. Middleweight is also criminally underrated (we all know why).

I'm more excited about the Heavyweight division and Middleweight division than I am about the Welterweight division.

Waiting for unification fights at Heavyweight. Eventually getting to the HUGE Joshua vs Wilder match for the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship of the World

At Middleweight, we know what's coming Golovkin vs. Canelo
    plus lots of other fights that can be made between guys like Jacobs, Lemieux, Charlo, Golovkin, Canelo, Saunders, etc...

When Crawford moves up to 147, it will create even more interest at 147
    Last edited by The Time; 05-28-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Perhaps, but we're also getting more clarity as to who the top guy of the division is. it'll really have a top skilled elite guy once Crawford moves up though.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
        Perhaps, but we're also getting more clarity as to who the top guy of the division is. it'll really have a top skilled elite guy once Crawford moves up though.
        Yea walters are fighting eachother ,others not so much

Comment

I agree, welterweight is a weak division.

Comment

Yeah mostly because Pacquiao not fighting any of the Top Welterweights instead he is fighting guys like Horn then Amir Khan and Timothy Bradley Simi Retired or whatever the fuk they're doing. Not sure what Broner is exactly and he is not living up to expectations. Those are some BIG NAMES in the Division who are kinda up in the air right now. Not sure if Pacquiao fights another Top Welterweight he might just stick around and collect checks all over the world but not sure if he will be in another big fight if so it probably won't be here in the States

Still a lot of unfinished business in that Division tho and some BIG match ups to be made still in that Division the biggest one being Spence Jr vs Thurman!

Comment

Working...
            X