No announcement yet.

Canelo’s Career & Legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo’s Career & Legacy

I’ve been thinking about Canelo’s career and future legacy, and what the boxing historians will say about him fifty years from now.

How good do you think Canelo’s skills and resume are? What led you to your conclusions?

What do you think Canelo must still accomplish in order to be ranked among the best boxing has ever seen (if you think this is within reach for him). What led you to your conclusions?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

— Legends456

if canelo were to beat bivol or beterbiev that would be pretty big for him....alot of people have bagged him for picking up kovalev so if he could be someone they deem more "legit" than theyd have to respect him

i think hed have to go for that......there are a couple of fight with say benavidez or gilberto ramirez that might excite the mexican fans....maybe BJS or callum smith to get some brit money/intrigue.....other than that i dont think theres much more he can do....he fought floyd so young....he found a MW p4p machine waiting for him and he answered that question.....theres really not much more left for him to do

i could see canelo retiring rather young....unless something materializes over the next few years i dont think theres a ton left out there for him in terms of getting up for....and making money for the tv people

i dont know about historically...so hard to compare eras....so i dont even think about that...but his resume is probably, sans pac, the best of anyone of his era or active....i mean...yeah...i think his resume is pretty darn impressive....hes probably the fighter that defines the post pac/floyd era even though he was kind of part of that era and pac is technically still around

i wasnt big on canelo when he was coming up...but over the years ive learned to like him and hes won my respect

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
      if canelo were to beat bivol or beterbiev that would be pretty big for him....alot of people have bagged him for picking up kovalev so if he could be someone they deem more "legit" than theyd have to respect him

i think hed have to go for that......there are a couple of fight with say benavidez or gilberto ramirez that might excite the mexican fans....maybe BJS or callum smith to get some brit money/intrigue.....other than that i dont think theres much more he can do....he fought floyd so young....he found a MW p4p machine waiting for him and he answered that question.....theres really not much more left for him to do

i could see canelo retiring rather young....unless something materializes over the next few years i dont think theres a ton left out there for him in terms of getting up for....and making money for the tv people

i dont know about historically...so hard to compare eras....so i dont even think about that...but his resume is probably, sans pac, the best of anyone of his era or active....i mean...yeah...i think his resume is pretty darn impressive....hes probably the fighter that defines the post pac/floyd era even though he was kind of part of that era and pac is technically still around

i wasnt big on canelo when he was coming up...but over the years ive learned to like him and hes won my respect
      Thanks for your reply..
      I sometimes feel annoyed with his scorecards but I do think at some point I’ve come to the conclusion we are seeing someone elite, even if there are some questionable scorecards and the issue with the clenbuterol which I’m still in the fence about.

I too would like to see him fight some of the other younger LHW (if he stays at that weight).

I’d also like to see him fight some younger more active talents at the MW or SMW divisions... Charlo or Plant would be nice.

I think he will retire top 60 or so all time.

Comment

Hate him or love him when the dust settles people will forget important details to some of his big wins. Details like questionable scorecards, hiding at 155, Kovs war weeks prior. He will go down as a Mexican great.

Comment

They'll forget all about the clen.

Comment

He isn't done writing his legacy yet. He's only 29.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              what do you think he could do, aside from obviously beating beterbiev or bivol, that could really enhance his legacy though?

i mean..i know theres always stuff that kind of materializes...but looking at the landscape of where he fights....what do you think he could really do to enhance it?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                No but he probably has very little time left. You've got late bloomers in the game and then you got rare guys like Canelo who do their best work young, but it catches up to them sooner.

Comment

I’m not a Canelo fan but have been fortunate enough to watch him live 3 times. Whilst I don’t really like the guy, nobody can dispute he’s an incredibly talented fighter. He’s a superb inside fighter with excellent defence via a compact guard and great head movement. His ring generalship is top quality also he constantly puts pressure on his opponents with feints, movement etc.

His legacy is already pretty strong but not undisputed. His Draw and MD win against GGG are questionable. His selectivity in regards to opposition along with contractual stipulations are also contentious. Despite this his resume is already very strong with wins over Trout, Lara, Cotto, GGG, Jacobs and Kovalev, and at only 29 he still has time on his side in regard to growing his legacy.

I think when Canelo’s career is over he’ll probably remembered as a modern great, I’m skeptical whether he can reach ATG status buts it’s not unthinkable.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                    No but he probably has very little time left. You've got late bloomers in the game and then you got rare guys like Canelo who do their best work young, but it catches up to them sooner.
                    It depends how long he wants to keep going.

But physically he is still at his peak and mentally his boxing IQ and experience just keep improving.

Comment

Working...
                    X