Shadow boxing/Heavy bag video

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow boxing/Heavy bag video

Okay so heres the deal
    1.) I dont know why I put music on the beginning part. I figured since it would be switching back and forth between diff shadowboxing clips with different music in the background I might as well cut it all out..
    2.) Dont know why the videos of me on the bag overlap... I uploaded it on youtube yesterday but had to shut down my computer before it was done and was very surprised to see the video already uploaded when I was gonna reupload it.
    3.) Tips and advice. I already really dont like the clip of me shadowboxing in my backyard I think I look too sloppy...

Don't aim so high with your jab.
    Put your body behind the hooks.
    Maybe bob and weave under the bang or block it rather than move off.
    More head movement.
    Uppercuts need a lot of work too.

Also, so fast I could have sworn I saw two version of ya in there :P

Comment

head movement

Comment

Actually pretty technical. Good job. You do need to bring your jabs down and it also seems like you push some of your punches (because your fist is pointed up somewhat). Head movement wouldn't hurt but you were moving nicely around the bag. Keep it up.

Comment

Looked good. I think you can get more into your hooks though but theres really not alot wrong with them.

I thought your double jab was slow, theres no way the second would land, you pull it back slow after the first one, you gotta pump it. Everybody else mentioned the height of your jab.

When you hit the bag I can tell you dont have alot of room but when you step around it you kinda wait for it to swing the rest of the way past you and for it to finally come back towards you to hit it (it'll swing in a full circle). If you can you should step quickly and fire off a few shots immediately from the new angle as its still coming towards you (if your fast enough) and change its direction with the force/speed of your punches.

Looking good, do you go to a gym?

Comment

Originally posted by Landon S View Post
            Looked good. I think you can get more into your hooks though but theres really not alot wrong with them.

I thought your double jab was slow, theres no way the second would land, you pull it back slow after the first one, you gotta pump it. Everybody else mentioned the height of your jab.

When you hit the bag I can tell you dont have alot of room but when you step around it you kinda wait for it to swing the rest of the way past you and for it to finally come back towards you to hit it (it'll swing in a full circle). If you can you should step quickly and fire off a few shots immediately from the new angle as its still coming towards you (if your fast enough) and change its direction with the force/speed of your punches.

Looking good, do you go to a gym?
            yeah ive been boxing on and off for 2 years.

ive been away for boxing all of the new year+christmas break.. ive been sick and terribly jetlagged.. all i've done is shadowboxing. i think i looked terrible in this video though. one thing everyone mentions is the height of my jab. i just started throwing it that high. the video in my garage was like from half a year ago. i didnt throw it that way before. ive been trying to change the angles at which i throw my jab from.. some are kind of backhanded like paul williams and other boxers do. (the heavyweight champ at my gym throws these crazy backhanded jabs that i could never figure out)
            anyways i felt like my footwork was all off on the backyard video as well.. and when i threw the jab my right hand would move as well rather than the cross block that i usually use it for.

its crazy how many bad habits you can pick up in a month.. and how actually watching a video of yourself brings it all out.... i pretty much noticed the same things in the video.
            the real things i need to work on though are moving right.. i dont think i moved right in that video but i pretty much suck at that.
            Last edited by the330ballers; 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I think your losing power with you hands pointed out like that. It was actually pretty good. You need to turn into your hooks more. The bag work looked good except you were kinda slapping on some off your punches probally because you were hitting it too high. Keep it up though you got skill. Peace

Comment

I've had the ABA (alberta boxing association) coach tell me to jab a little high (I think I was just jabbing too low but whatever) so you dont get lazy with your punches and jab low or drop your hand after. It was awkward and I stopped punching so high after he left the gym but it does help with the endurance in your shoulders a bit. I'm faster and hit harder my own way, I think you have to find your own style but still take into consideration what others say and take it seriously at least for a while (like a month at least) so you can really understand what theyre saying and why. Im rambling so I'll stop.

What do you mean youve been boxing on and off for two years but all youve done is shadowboxing? you mean recently right? ever spar?

Just out of curiousity if you pieced together all your training throught the two years how long have you been training?

Comment

pretty textbook stuff, you looked good. Gonna say one thing though: arm punches, you need to use you're body more.

Comment

Originally posted by Landon S View Post
                    I've had the ABA (alberta boxing association) coach tell me to jab a little high (I think I was just jabbing too low but whatever) so you dont get lazy with your punches and jab low or drop your hand after. It was awkward and I stopped punching so high after he left the gym but it does help with the endurance in your shoulders a bit. I'm faster and hit harder my own way, I think you have to find your own style but still take into consideration what others say and take it seriously at least for a while (like a month at least) so you can really understand what theyre saying and why. Im rambling so I'll stop.

What do you mean youve been boxing on and off for two years but all youve done is shadowboxing? you mean recently right? ever spar?

Just out of curiousity if you pieced together all your training throught the two years how long have you been training?
                    yes i do spar and i meant i have only shadowboxed this new year.. meaning i havent gone to my actual gym. ive been sick this whole month and have done basically nothing (except shadowboxing which i think i will never stop doing...)

and by on and off i mean ive taken this whole month off and probably a couple others. probably a year and a half worth of boxing.. the main point is i havent trained for a fight meaning i dont go to my gym every day like some people and have several weeks where i only go once a week..

Comment

Working...
                    X