No announcement yet.

Shadowboxing/bagwork Critique

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadowboxing/bagwork Critique

Hey y'all. Got a coupla videos here. Would be awesome if I could get some critiques on them!

youtube.c o m/watch?v=dgAwVPRMmM4

youtube.c o m/watch?v=dOnWlyxviEw

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Gfreak045 View Post
    Hey y'all. Got a coupla videos here. Would be awesome if I could get some critiques on them!

youtube.c o m/watch?v=dgAwVPRMmM4

youtube.c o m/watch?v=dOnWlyxviEw

Thanks in advance!
    no can see using that 'link'. Post up a link that works and I'll give you my thoughts.

Comment

I can't post links because I don't have enough posts lol. That's the only way I could post em.

Comment

Post up a video of you shadowboxing again, except put something in the shots like you mean it this time. I see potential........

Practice as you fight and you'll fight as you've practiced...... Rockin'

Comment

You're keeping your feet under you and not leaning, which is good. You have a general sense of what the moves are. But, you're not taking it seriously and showing no respect for the opponent, as if you're doing fitness boxing. What I mean is, your eyes wander, you don't return your hands quickly, and you punch rather casually, almost artistically as if you're dancing and not actually training for combat. Sparring a few times will quickly change that, trust me. You'll learn to respect the space between you and your opponent, move quicker, keep focused, and you'll certainly tighten your lax defense.

If you're just keeping in shape, forget the above. But, if you want to learn to box definitely get more of the cobra/mongoose thing going on; quick movements, deliberate footwork, return to a defensive position rapidly after throwing, don't let your head float in the same place. You look like you have the physical ability to do all that and you've already figured out several things that most beginners neglect, just dedicate yourself to being disciplined in your training and don't take such a lax approach. Training slow and developing bad habits are two different things. Example; check out Ward and Mayweather on the bag. They work real slow and easy but still keep the crucial points in check. If you have a hard time imagining your opponent, definitely get into sparring.

Comment

Gfreak045,

I came on expecting the usual and came in planning to talk like Mickey would in Rocky movies. The thing is that you are not the usual posting up videos here. It's obvious that somebody has worked with you but it seems that they are not teaching you the fight, only the general motions.

I came off offensively at first, my sincere apologies. You are a man and I should have taken that in to consideration before telling you to carp thunda.

Turn your casual speed up to high intensity fighting speed and post another video. You didn't even crack a sweat in the other video.
            Last edited by Rockin'; 05-08-2015, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses y'all. My background is all kickboxing/MMA/BJJ. So i've never had a pure boxing coach. I learned the basics of kickboxing from my old coach. But haven't trained under him in a year or 2. I knew boxing was a hole in my game, so I was teaching myself the fundamentals through forums and studying. (My kicking and grappling game is already pretty strong).

I'll try and post up a video when I can of more intensity.

@redd foxx. You're definitely right about sparring, I teach BJJ and another traditional martial art for a living right now. So I don't really have anyone to spar. I'm not trying to make myself sound good, just at the gym I teach at atm there's no one at a high enough level that I can spar seriously. (aside from 1-2 instructors who never have time).

and @rockin', don't worry 'bout it. I'm sure y'all get people all the time posting videos that haven't had a day of training before haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Gfreak045 View Post
                Thanks for the responses y'all. My background is all kickboxing/MMA/BJJ. So i've never had a pure boxing coach. I learned the basics of kickboxing from my old coach. But haven't trained under him in a year or 2. I knew boxing was a hole in my game, so I was teaching myself the fundamentals through forums and studying. (My kicking and grappling game is already pretty strong).

I'll try and post up a video when I can of more intensity.

@redd foxx. You're definitely right about sparring, I teach BJJ and another traditional martial art for a living right now. So I don't really have anyone to spar. I'm not trying to make myself sound good, just at the gym I teach at atm there's no one at a high enough level that I can spar seriously. (aside from 1-2 instructors who never have time).

and @rockin', don't worry 'bout it. I'm sure y'all get people all the time posting videos that haven't had a day of training before haha.
                As a BJJ guy myself, I can understand where you're coming from. Think of boxing as throwing subs from the bottom; you must strike quick and don't linger or you'll be open to counter attacks. Just as a slow triangle attempt will get your guard passed, slow uppercut will invite a left hook, etc.

I noticed your left hook looked a little kichboxy. Muay Thai tends to teach weaker hooks that don't generate much power from the feet so keep in mind that you want to really sit down on your punches in boxing.

Comment

go snuff yourself out

Comment

On my right hands lately I learned to "level" or "c0ck" the elbow sometimes to get more power as opposed to always just shooting it out from the hip and forearm. Sometimes you need snappy quick right hands, but sometimes you'll have to let someone know there will be a price to pay.

By raising or c0cking the elbow I mean making sure you raise your elbow to be parallel with your shoulder as you are shooting the right hand so you get more of your triceps and shoulder into the punch. It makes a huge difference in terms of pop. Mayweather is really good at this.

Here's a vid explaining what I was saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbHDi1Xj4-M
                    Last edited by Biolink; 05-10-2015, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X