Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please critique my brother's heavybag workout!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please critique my brother's heavybag workout!

hello everyone.

big boxing fan here, but only since 2006. i've watched tons and tons of fights from the past to today.

my younger 17 year old bro, doesn't watch nearly as much boxing as i do. just the major ones. we decided to get in shape again, by running. but in addition to running, we wanted a fun workout, so we purchased a ringside 130lbs water/foam heavybag. keep in mind that we aren't trained at all, but would love to join a gym here in las vegas soon (just need the money, hehe).

here's a video of my bro, with borrowed gloves from friends who were/are amateur boxers. the gloves my bro used are 10oz amateur , and 18oz ringside imf tech.

i am quite worried that bad habbit can develop if this continues without professional coaching from a boxing trainer, and it will probably be hard to break those bad habbits, but once we join a boxing gym, we shall see what the trainer can correct!

as for my own video, i am uploading soon.

what do you think? please critique!

oh, and he is 190lbs, 5'8"

Last edited by royjoneschin; 09-11-2010, 07:00 PM.

Seems pretty solid just a couple of things I picked up on:

-When he throws his rear hand sometimes his rear foot leaves the floor; you don't want to do that because if you get hit while only on one foot you are hitting the canvas because of no balance but he seemed to have stopped this by the second video.
    -As he moves around the bag it seems as though he is side stepping, even when moving to the sides you must keep your rear foot at the rear (lol). This again is a balance issue.
    - When throwing hooks/body shots the whole body needs to move. The knees must bend a little more and the waist needs to swivel as you throw.

Pretty solid stance, jab and combinations. He is doing well once you get a trainer you will be doing great in no time. (If trains hard and listens to advice)

Comment

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
      Seems pretty solid just a couple of things I picked up on:

-When he throws his rear hand sometimes his rear foot leaves the floor; you don't want to do that because if you get hit while only on one foot you are hitting the canvas because of no balance but he seemed to have stopped this by the second video.
      -As he moves around the bag it seems as though he is side stepping, even when moving to the sides you must keep your rear foot at the rear (lol). This again is a balance issue.
      - When throwing hooks/body shots the whole body needs to move. The knees must bend a little more and the waist needs to swivel as you throw.

Pretty solid stance, jab and combinations. He is doing well once you get a trainer you will be doing great in no time. (If trains hard and listens to advice)
      Alright thanks alot man, appreciate it.

Comment

the only thing i didn't like is when he's not hitting the bag and starts arm dancing altough i hate guys who do that and when ever he trows a hook he shouldn't bring his arm back before trowing it

Comment

looking good seeing as he has no training. tell him to keep his hands up though. pros drop them but if you do that in a fight you will end up wondering why your on the floor with your oponents face spining round in circles

Comment

Originally posted by bernardotelo View Post
            the only thing i didn't like is when he's not hitting the bag and starts arm dancing altough i hate guys who do that and when ever he trows a hook he shouldn't bring his arm back before trowing it
            what's arm dancing?

bringing his arm back before throwing it, meaning like a telegraphed punch?
            Last edited by royjoneschin; 09-12-2010, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by royjoneschin View Post
              bringing his arm back before throwing it, meaning like a telegraphed punch?
              yes like when he trows it hes opponent will see it coming before he even trows it

Comment

Originally posted by bernardotelo View Post
                yes like when he trows it hes opponent will see it coming before he even trows it
                Ah, so avoid a ricky hatton telegraphed left hook, gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by royjoneschin View Post
                  Ah, so avoid a ricky hatton telegraphed left hook, gotcha.
                  hes snorting now isn't he ??

Comment

He don't look 5'8 190. I mean isn't 5'8 190 like really fat? And it's not like your bro is buff.

Comment

Working...
                    X