Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you seen Cosmos? by Neil DeGrasse Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
    Take away belief in a God(s) and we are still left with a universe which displays cause and effect from the moment we are born.
    That doesn't really prove anything. Take away everything that is religious in the last 3000 years including the beliefs of the highly advanced egyptians in the ancient times, and it would result in a civilization that it still could be classified as primal.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Y...
      The problem of having a god is that you can become stupid.
      Theres are examples of brilliant scientists and mathematicians who were believers. Also examples of nonbelievers.

Same goes for stupid people. Among the legions of idiots there are believers as well as non believers.

Does belief or non-belief make you stupid? Or smart? I don't see a case either way.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
        Illustrating scientific knowledge as poetically as he does clearly inspires many people to embrace science and value its importance.
        His followers pay lip service to Feynman. But actually learning some math and science? Actually exercising skepticism?

Still unable to post links. Google: Maddox IFLS

I watch Neil tell his followers that gravity falls exponentially with distance. I learned in high school that it falls with inverse square. I also learned in high school what an exponential function is. But Neil's fans don't bat an eye. These are the folks that slept through their high school history, math and science classes.

Tyson's fans are among the stupidest people on the planet. They're in the same league as Trump's birthers.
        Last edited by Hop David; 01-05-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
          The first universities that were founded and had taught scientific fact were religious schools. Islamic, Christian alike. It was a priest who founded the theory on the "Big Bang"
          Sure, religion and science can be compatible. But also its undeniable some science is often dismissed and replaced by religious faith.
          The moment you said "Religion hinders science" Then followed by "Children indoctrinated" the first thing that pops in to my mind are the 'idiots' that you have in america. In the span across asia and europe Christians never had a problem with scientific findings, in fact it is America only who has the view of young earth creationism. You are equating idiots like young earth creationists to Christians. That's where the strawman lies in your argument.
          I didnt specifically mention creationists, and im not sure where i created a strawman. Religious indoctrination is just the norm in most religious communities. In many countries around the world, huge numbers of different faiths have serious issues with evolution for example. And in general im not sure if critical thinking overrides religious/superstitious beliefs. In very religious communities, religion comes first.
          If you acknowledge that young earth creationists exist, then you also acknowledge religion can and does hinder science. Their education is skewed. And its not just in America.
          This isnt true of all religion, but obviously it is for a percentage.

To be clear, religion as a whole doesnt go directly against science. Most of the time the two dont clash. And im obviously not talking about all religious people.
          Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
          That doesn't really prove anything. Take away everything that is religious in the last 3000 years including the beliefs of the highly advanced egyptians in the ancient times, and it would result in a civilization that it still could be classified as primal.
          Not sure if i follow.
          I wasnt really trying to 'prove' anything. Just as we cant prove religious belief inspired a pursuit in science.
          Originally posted by Hop David View Post
          His followers pay lip service to Feynman. But actually learning some math and science? Actually exercising skepticism?

Still unable to post links. Google: Maddox IFLS

I watch Neil tell his followers that gravity falls exponentially with distance. I learned in high school that it falls with inverse square. I also learned in high school what an exponential function is. But Neil's fans don't bat an eye. These are the folks that slept through their high school history, math and science classes.

Tyson's fans are among the stupidest people on the planet. They're in the same league as Trump's birthers.
          You can pick out a few examples of Neil getting things wrong, but that doesnt take away from the fact that a growing interest in science contributes to the scientific community.

Comment

Working...
          X