Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Weightlifting be okay to do in this case?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common misconception that weight training will hurt you. If you combine weight training with lots of mobility work so you aren't tight. Weight lifters that only train to weight lift will suffer, but a good routine should contain some heavy resistance work.

Comment

well weightlivting shouldnt be frowned upon in boxing. anything that makes you stronger is surely a bonus. Not sure why calisthenics are getting slated on here, i would say they are more useful for a boxer cause its total body strength you are getting from that, and many of the movements are very taxing on your core muscles. i dont buy the **** that squats/deadlifts are amazing for your core, cause abs pretty much doubled in thickness when i switched over to focusing on calisthenics, and i cant say i ever feel abs burning too much after a set of deadlifts lol. but as mr dago wop says, if you prefer weights, do weights, If you prefer calisthenics, do calisthenics or do a mix of them both. As long its progressive resistance training its all good

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        If you aren't looking to gain muscle quick then Calisthenics are going to be better because they help with building endurance strength. Weights in my experience build strength that lasts for a little bit then once you are tired it goes away. Tough thing about Calisthenics is you have to increase the reps/sets you do or you won't progress and that can be very monotonous.
        do calisthenics with weights rapped around your legs or arms works.
        yea when you have to do 120 situps to get tired gets old.
        add weights and maybe you may have to struggle to do 30.

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
          But would it be ok if I started weightlifting after boxing & roadwork just to get some of my strength back?

I have zero intentions of putting on a lot of mass or getting huge or any of that bull****, I just want to get back to my former shape or at least close to it and then ditch the weights and stick to boxing.
          Do simple compound exercises.
          Squat, Deadlift, Rows and learn to hang clean from someone that knows what they're doing. Throw in some body-weight exercises and your set. But do not forget about the mobility and flexibility drills, this is what most people seem to overlook in a well balanced strength and conditioning program.
          There is no need to ditch weights, when you have a balanced approach.
          Can you scale back of course, but be smart about what you want to accomplish. With the correct lifts and body weight exercises you're only helping yourself as opposed to hindering yourself.
          Don't believe the dogma about weight lifting be a hindrance to boxing.

Comment

Working...
          X