No announcement yet.

Important nutrition question:

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
    Hi everyone- thank you for your replies so far. Sorry for not providing my details. Ok well I on average train about 3-4 hours a day. I run 4-5 miles, do 2 hour of non stop boxing workout I don't sit and talk I just go and do my work, I also do groundwork and strength workouts. This is mon-sat. I'm 5'8 and weigh 142 pounds right now...
    you are over doing it by a long shot. Short cuts make for long delays (lord of the rings quote lol). In other words you can get it done, over time, by working two hours a day and allowing yourself proper rest.

And eat. On what planet is 1500 cals normal for a human. With that amount of work you should nearly double that -- it`s no wonder why you are feeling light headed brother.

Comment

So if I eat about 2500 calories so I'd be at a 1000 deficit would that be ok?

Comment

Thanks again for all your help

Comment

Much better - if you are trying to lose fat. You said you're small already though, right?

i have to admit that there are guys here much more qualified to discuss this but that deficit is certainly okay for my size. I am about 6'1, 190 right now.

Comment

3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109

@142 lbs it doesn't sound like you have a lot of fat to burn so I'd guess apart from water you'd be sacrificing muscle. I can lose 7 lbs of water in an hour of hard exercise with a sauna after...and rehydrate in less than 24 hours. Do you have any idea of what percentage of bodyfat you are at?
            Last edited by jaded; 04-23-2013, 04:52 AM.

Comment

I actually recently cut weight from 138 down to 125 in four weeks. The calorie counting works, but you need to be careful. You need to respond to your body and keep it extremely hydrated, until nearing your fight. If you let yourself become lethargic and weak, you'll only be undoing all of the work you've put into your conditioning.

Personally I burned around 1250 calories a day from exercising added to my normal 2200, meant 3450 calories lost a day. It takes 3500 burnt calories to lose a pound.

I simply subtracted 1000 from 3450, which gave me 2450 calories to eat per day. That meant I would lose about a pound every 3.5 days - or 2 pounds a week. I ended up losing about 8-9lbs by the week of the fight, weighing around 128-129lbs. I took some prunes two nights before the fight, stopped water intake from 8am the morning before up to weigh in, and ended up at 123.9lbs for my fight. I felt great for the fight that day.

It's amazing what the human body can do. Your body will surprise you. Just make sure you don't kill yourself trying to make weight. You shouldn't feel like you're dying.

The first time I ever tried to make weight was from 138 down to 129. I tried crash-dieting and lowering my calories to 1000 a day, two weeks before the fight. My body went into starvation mode, actively trying to conserve fat for survival, and I barely made 128.5 feeling like utter ****. I was drained and tired. That was definitely not the way to go.

Despite losing weight fast, you still gotta ease your body into it. Do it responsibly and smart - you'll feel great while doing it.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. I'll be glad to help.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My fat percentage is like 9. I've been looking into my "BMR" and it's 1700 apparantly, plus like I said the calories I burn through exercise is around 1500. So ill be looking at around 2200 calories to eat to lose 2 pounds a week. Thanks again for the input everyone I appreciate it

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My fat percentage is like 9. I've been looking into my "BMR" and it's 1700 apparantly, plus like I said the calories I burn through exercise is around 1500. So ill be looking at around 2200 calories to eat to lose 2 pounds a week. Thanks again for the input everyone I appreciate it
                  You can't get too much lower than 9% bodyfat and have good energy...you will feel fatigued. I have a feeling though you are taking a guestimate at your % of bodyfat. Try to get it measure by someone with a caliper.

Comment

Working...
                  X