How to set up an aggressive southpaw for failure 101

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up an aggressive southpaw for failure 101

Failure 101 Black Belt ish

great video i wish some people in nsb would watch this so they could stop saying it was a "lucky punch" or on roids. this is what ive been saying all along JMM was trying to land that punch all night and did in the first knockdown and then Pacquiao walked into it making it even more powerful and got knocked out it was all to do with boxing iq not as much physical strength or luck. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
      great video i wish some people in nsb would watch this so they could stop saying it was a "lucky punch" or on roids. this is what ive been saying all along JMM was trying to land that punch all night and did in the first knockdown and then Pacquiao walked into it making it even more powerful and got knocked out it was all to do with boxing iq not as much physical strength or luck. Thanks for sharing
      Forums can be weird that way. I tried to post that there but it was actually take down by admin. I think the gossip and ignorant talking is better for marketing. I need to learn that actually. It drives the site. Thanks for watching this video though. I appreciate it.

Comment

Juan has tried this punch many times through the years. It is one of the techniques to use against the southpaw! You want to slip outside his jab then counter right gets thrown. However Manny set up this KO punch by feinting twice with invisable jabs but he continued in!! Juan almost missed landing it because Manny was so deep! Mannys right shoulder was almost touching Juans right shoulder when the punch landed. In that respect the punch had some luck traveling with it!!!
        Left hooks against a southpaw who bails straight back is another great way to attack them. If you can get the lefty to back off a double jab and they step off to their right then their moving into your left hook! I do see alot of southpaws today moving against the right hand of conventional fighters and I don't see righties taking advantage of it!!! Other than trying to keep the lead foot inside your opponent I don't see or hear cornermen actually give advises to get the southpaw to STOP!! You see once they stop their not left handed their stopped!! They almost all square up especially converted righties!!
        I always fought and gave instructions to fight a southpaw just like anyone else and if the opponent had the skills to "offset" the conventional boxer than adjust. I prefer making the southpaw adjust to us or me as it were!! Ray

Comment

Don't think it is a big mystery how JMM set this up...but it definitely doesn't negate the argument that he was juicing.

Comment

just watched the video

so marquez was winging the punch like a mad man, yet it was a great set-up?
            also, how does this disprove or lower suspicions of him on roids?

marquez is more intelligent than pacquiao because he landed one punch in 3 rd's that happened to knock pacquiao down(with the help of roids maybe, we dont know) despite getting clearly outboxed and out thought for the entirety of the fight, outside of 2 or 3 shots that he landed flush, what if pacquiao was the one carrying the julian jackson power that night? marquez would have been ko'd about 10 times over
            Last edited by SplitSecond; 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Question for Barry

@BarryRobinson - what's your opinion on open guard concept for fighting southpaws? A lot of trainers say you want to have more of an open guard (hand out,higher than opponents,etc etc) than tight (hands at cheeks) when fighting opposite stance but a lot of fighters dont work like that and are still successful..... Just wanted to see your .02 on this subject? And what are the real benefits from this?

Comment

It was not bad, Barry, but kinda more towards quantity, rather than quality
                Time is precious this days, 25 m videos are too long

Comment

Originally posted by shs101 View Post
                  @BarryRobinson - what's your opinion on open guard concept for fighting southpaws? A lot of trainers say you want to have more of an open guard (hand out,higher than opponents,etc etc) than tight (hands at cheeks) when fighting opposite stance but a lot of fighters dont work like that and are still successful..... Just wanted to see your .02 on this subject? And what are the real benefits from this?
                  "...a lot of fighters dont work like that and are still successful."

Train everything, especially small things. Small things are all things. I don't believe in training strategy or moves in the gym. Everything is just a conditioning drill. If you get locked in to 1+1 in combat sports you become more predictable and easy to control.

Im done with this thread bro. If you want to discuss this further hit me up privately or through my contact page on the website.

Comment

Working...
                  X