Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This The Greatest Survival Story In The History Of Mankind?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HughJass View Post

Great documentary.

I wouldn't have a problem eating the dead if my survival was on the line.

I would just hope there was fire available so I could cook it first. I would gag trying to eat human flesh raw.

Comment

Lieutenant William Bligh of the Bounty (of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) was cast adrift in the Pacific ocean by his treacherous First Mate Fletcher Christian, together with eighteen crewmen who remained loyal to their Captain.

With the loss of just six of these crewmen he used a pocket watch and a quadrant and no charts or compass to navigate over 3600 nautical miles in 47 days to reach Timor and their catch a Royal Navy vessel back to England.

The mutiny on the Bounty has been commemorated in numerous films, television series and a famous novel, and Bligh was typically depicted as a monstrous tyrant. However he was generally regarded as a fair Captain, and well liked by most of his men. It was Fletcher Christian who for some reason held him in disregard.

In case you are wondering he was a Lieutenant at the time of the mutiny but he had command of a ship, which is why he was addressed by the honorific "Captain". His official rank was Lieutenant but as a courtesy officers of the Royal Navy with a rated command were addressed as Captain. He was promoted to Commander and then to Post Captain and eventually made the Admiralty.

Interesting to note that he started his career before the mast as a Ship's Boy and later Able Seaman before becoming a midshipman.

Comment

"I'm hungry, lets eat the woman first!"

Comment

The 9 SAS men vs the 300 guerrillas is probably the greatest survival story.

Comment

I saw that film, Alive, when I was a child.

Comment

Andes plane crash nothin', I've survived 10+ years here on the Scene.

Comment

This is an old bump but survival stories read a quality book about an el salvadorian fosherman who was working as a fisherman in Mexico and his boat went adrift top 5 best books great survival story just how he survived killing birds and stuff for food .

Declared “the best survival book in a decade”, 438 Days is the true story of the man who survived fourteen months in a small boat drifting seven thousand miles across the Pacific Ocean.
                https://www.amazon.com/438-Days-Extr...s%2C318&sr=8-1

Comment

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post
                  This is an old bump but survival stories read a quality book about an el salvadorian fosherman who was working as a fisherman in Mexico and his boat went adrift top 5 best books great survival story just how he survived killing birds and stuff for food .

Declared “the best survival book in a decade”, 438 Days is the true story of the man who survived fourteen months in a small boat drifting seven thousand miles across the Pacific Ocean.
                  https://www.amazon.com/438-Days-Extr...s%2C318&sr=8-1
                  Recently finished the audio book, just an amazing story.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
                    Recently finished the audio book, just an amazing story.
                    Were there any parts of the story that were questionable?

Any red flags? I just find this one so hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                      Were there any parts of the story that were questionable?

Any red flags? I just find this one so hard to believe.
                      No red flags other than it just seems impossible. The state of the boat and it’s contents seemed to support his claim and no one to my knowledge has put forth any other theory as to how, if it were a hoax, it was accomplished. Definitely this fisherman went out in a boat and nobody saw him again for more than a year.

Comment

Working...
                      X