Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone retired with two better wins thans Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White Willy View Post
    Where did you get those records from? Roy's "comeback" opponents before Calzaghe:
    • Prince Badi Ajamu, 25-2-1 (14 KO)
    • Anthony Hanshaw, 21-0-1 (14 KO)
    • Tito Trinidad, 42-2 (35 KO)

All UD victories.

Roy's two opponents after Calzaghe:
    • Omar Sheika, 27-8 (18 KO)
    • Jeff Lacy, 25-2 (17 KO)

Both ended in TKO victories for Roy.
    you just made my point, who did he beat that was any good? Trinidad who came out of retirement for the fight and was coming off of near 3 year inactivity? That is literally the best name you just gave. Not to mention he fought him at light heavy. C'mon man this is too easy. Everyone knew Roy was shot. I know you want to make it out like it was some great win but when Calzaghe himself is telling his son not to worry cause Roy Jones isn't near as good as he used to be then you have no argument.

Comment

Prime Roy Jones - before his trip to HW would abuse Joe Calzaghe. It wouldn't be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by mick1303 View Post
        Prime Roy Jones - before his trip to HW would abuse Joe Calzaghe. It wouldn't be competitive.
        I agree with this. Prime Roy would have stopped Joe.

But as far as Hopkins, Calzaghe would have always been trouble for him. The fight was very close because Hopkins fought dirty and made it ugly. The way he was exaggerating those low blows was embarrassing. A fight between them in their primes would have probably had the same result, but it wouldn't have been such a ****ty fight.

Still a much better win than the Jones fight, despite how close and ugly that fight was.

Comment

The Jones win meant nothing. However if Floyd beat a guy that washed up Larry and co. would be starting threads on the daily about how that's a great win and Jones was still a top fighter.

The Hopkins win was good as obviously Hopkins was on a good run (hadn't really lost since 1993), but he was no longer near his prime (2001-2003 was probably the end of his prime). He did go on to some more good work, so I'll say it's a good win.

Calzaghe also won all four belts at 168, cleaned it out and reigned for 10 years with 21 defenses. So in length that's probably like 3rd longest ever in terms of title defenses and duration. Calzaghe did have a lot of under the radar underrated wins too - Eubank, Woodhall, Reid, Brewer, Veit, Mitchell and the two excellent wins over Lacy (who was supposed to destroy him) and Kessler. I'd say all those wins trump the Jones one.

Also retired undefeated and actually didn't have any controversial fights. Closest were Reid and Hopkins which were round about 8-4, 7-5 at a stretch type fights. That's not bad when you put all those stats, facts in and get 46-0.

If Calzaghe was from this country he'd get so much more praise and hero worship. The usual suspects would be creaming themselves into a frenzy over the mere mention of his name. I'd say he's top 10 of the last 20-25 years for sure but I'd probably put him in the bottom half of such a list.

Comment

Roy Jones was simply a shadow of what he once was

Comment

Originally posted by White Willy View Post
              Where did you get those records from? Roy's "comeback" opponents before Calzaghe:
              • Prince Badi Ajamu, 25-2-1 (14 KO)
              • Anthony Hanshaw, 21-0-1 (14 KO)
              • Tito Trinidad, 42-2 (35 KO)

All UD victories.

Roy's two opponents after Calzaghe:
              • Omar Sheika, 27-8 (18 KO)
              • Jeff Lacy, 25-2 (17 KO)

Both ended in TKO victories for Roy.
              This clown will be telling us that **** lomachenko is shot after Rigo disembowels him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                you just made my point, who did he beat that was any good? Trinidad who came out of retirement for the fight and was coming off of near 3 year inactivity? That is literally the best name you just gave. Not to mention he fought him at light heavy. C'mon man this is too easy. Everyone knew Roy was shot. I know you want to make it out like it was some great win but when Calzaghe himself is telling his son not to worry cause Roy Jones isn't near as good as he used to be then you have no argument.
                When **** lomo dies at Rigos hands are you going to say he was shot too, you coward?

Comment

Originally posted by Danar View Post
                  When **** lomo dies at Rigos hands are you going to say he was shot too, you coward?
                  Will you be giving Loma any credit when he beats Rigo? Of course you won't.

Comment

Calzaghe's epic win over Roy Jones is right up there with Trevor Berbicks win over Muhammad Ali.

Haters will say they were past their prime.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                      Will you be giving Loma any credit when he beats Rigo? Of course you won't.
                      What the fcuk are you talking about fcuker?

Comment

Working...
                      X