Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else think Usyk is in for a rude awakening at heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... Usyk has no business at the top of the heavyweight division...
    Hearn signed him only in order to get a big name alternative for his fighter...

Comment

Put usyk in with D.Wilder. Let's see that. I got D.Wilder..lol

Comment

Now that the weight limit for CW is 200 rather than 190 which it used to be, the jump from LHW to CW is pretty challenging as well. Many LHW just don't have the bone structure to support additional 25 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
          People get to hung up on size on this site.Does anybody remember feather fisted 168 lb Chris Byrd who bulked up to heavyweight.Hes was supposed to be two small for the big guys not enough power to keep them honest but he beat Vitali Klitschko by stoppage was involved in at least 3 or more bouts involving the brothers and was only stopped once.He beat Holyfield Tua to name a few .Each fighter is different and this size bs when it comes to heavyweight gets old.A strong 6’3” 215 pound heavyweight with a dominating jab good chin footwork and decent right hand would give any of these heavyweights hell.Chris Byrd was a 168 pounder who moved up to heavyweight and used the sweet science to beat bigger guys.If one of the klitschko brothers were coming back to fight Usyk you guys would have a thread up saying he doesn’t have the power or strength to keep Klitschko of him he would be giving up to much in reach ect.To much time is spent on size and not skills when it comes to heavyweights.
          Did you see the Chris Byrd vs Ike Ibeabuchi contest?

Usyk has a similar fate waiting for him...

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
            I thought Usyk’s fight with Briedis could have easily gone the other way and I thought Briedis got a huge gift in his fight against Mikaelian. I also thought Mikaelian beat Woldercyzk, one of Usyks best wins. So I personally believe Usky-Mikaelian could be a toss up.

I also thought the Bellew fight was too close when Usyk finally knocked him out.

Because of these things, I don’t consider Usyk to be the Superman he’s being billed as. I have a bad feeling he’s going to get beat by a heavyweight that isn’t supposed to beat him. I also don’t think he has a prayer against any of the big three.

Maybe he’ll be okay because his management could avoid taller heavyweights until a title shot. But I’m still not completely certain he’ll beat he’s shorter guys.

Thoughts?
            I think the heavyweight division is in for a rude awakening. Usyk has light years better of a gas tank than anyone in the division and is way faster. Fury may be in the park with his boxing skills but Usyk is still better. His size will be a slight problem but I don't see him having too hard of a time getting out of the way of slow heavyweight punches. The only heavies that I think could beat him are the big 3. That says a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
              Did you see the Chris Byrd vs Ike Ibeabuchi contest?

Usyk has a similar fate waiting for him...
              Usyk is more Holyfield than Byrd.....

Just saying.

Comment

Stylistically I look at the guy and think going up against bigger opponents won't be a good idea. He's a skilled boxer but Hittable and doesn't have crazy power, when was the last time a world class superheavyweight got walked down by a guy like Usyk?

I think he's going to have to try and outbox them in the center of the ring, idk I don't expect much tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by earl-hickey View Post
                  Stylistically I look at the guy and think going up against bigger opponents won't be a good idea. He's a skilled boxer but Hittable and doesn't have crazy power, when was the last time a world class superheavyweight got walked down by a guy like Usyk?

I think he's going to have to try and outbox them in the center of the ring, idk I don't expect much tbh.
                  I’d like to see him in with Joyce who he beat in the WBSS.

A pro fight would show if Usyk can utilise his skill and footwork for a full 30/36 minutes against a big guy with slow feet, and slow hands but great endurance and heavy handedness.

Usyk’s got advantages but when would the size, strength, of someone decent but obviously lesser skilled takeover it at all.

Another point though, Usyk is what 6’3, wide back.

He ain’t small

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Without the power to keep big guys off of him, he's going to face some challenges.
                    Yea but its not like he's working with Chris Byrd caliber power. If guys just think they'll run over Uysk I think they are gonna be in for a surprise when they find themselves in the 9th round losing 6-2 & dead ass tired with a swole up eye wishing they could go back to Friday with this new info or at least fast forward to Sunday morning to avoid living through the next 4 rounds.

I think if he's taking a smart approach at becoming a HW already & in the future (& I think most would agree Loma's dad is a good guy to have on your team so I think its unlikely they are being dumb or even average about this) we'll likely see an increase in power with his own offense.

Not to say that Usyk is gonna be sleeping cats like Wilder or anything obviously, but you won't be wise to not be mindful of his offense & mid to late accumulation KO's are for sure in Usyk's future over top ten guys I'd go so far to suggest.

But again I don't deny if he just has a p#ssy chin at HW or doesn't adapt to fighting these guys who might be 3 inches or more taller than him & 20lbs+ heavier than him their is a chance he does get a rude awakening. Thats an unknown right now & its speculation to suggest that'll definitely be an issue or that it definitely won't be an issue I feel.

Seems like the consensus here is more leaning towards it not working out well for Usyk, but I'd argue HW history is littered with top ten caliber HW's who had some success & were far less skilled than Usyk. And its also worth noting one of the best HW's of all time, in the ATG dorks opinions, Holyfield, was a CW.

I think the most likely scenario is he's not gonna have a super chin or be super elusive suddenly, but his ring IQ & natural talent are gonna insure he's a top ten guy for the next several years & likely lift a title off of someone sooner or later vs a never THAT deep HW division thats ripe to be raped by a guy with the attributes of Usyk.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post

He's syk but not syk enough. He can beat up shot Arreola level types.
                      Those kind of guys is who he should be fighting right now. He should fight like Arreola, Washington, Takam those kind of guys for 3 or 4 fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X