No announcement yet.

Does this matter at all?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this matter at all?

Does it matter what type of floor you shadow box On? My only source outside of the gym is dirt in my backyard or concrete.

Shadow box on any safe surface where there is no slip /fall risk.

Comment

Ideally, in a normal ring. Realistically, any flat surface big enough to move around.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
        Ideally, in a normal ring. Realistically, any flat surface big enough to move around.
        Agreed. I would figure you would want to be in a normal ring so you get the true feel to commit to muscle memory. But yea, realistically that won't be possible for most just starting out.

Comment

Yes, it does, in the exact way that shoes matter. If you just want to get the cardio and rehearse the movements, any surface is fine. If you want to get your footwork down, you want to have a ring surface. It affects the way you move and thrust off your punches. My coach used to advise me to shadow box in the ring when no one was using it and it made a big difference. Not as easy as on hard surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Beasting102 View Post
            Does it matter what type of floor you shadow box On? My only source outside of the gym is dirt in my backyard or concrete.
            It is like you are looking for an excuse to avoid it!

Any floor type will work.

Comment

Originally posted by kellogg9 View Post
              Agreed. I would figure you would want to be in a normal ring so you get the true feel to commit to muscle memory. But yea, realistically that won't be possible for most just starting out.
              Kellogg makes a good point.

Comment

Preferably you would want canvas with a light pad under it. Shadow boxing on cement will wear a hole in to your shoes if you are digging in, and probably even i8f your are light with your shots. If you want to do it you will work it out. I wore through many pairs of shoes working on concrete. As well, you will find it harder on your knees on concrete. With a punch the canvas will turn with your foot, concrete does not. ……...Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  Preferably you would want canvas with a light pad under it. Shadow boxing on cement will wear a hole in to your shoes if you are digging in, and probably even i8f your are light with your shots.
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

On a side note, I've slipped (with my feet) quite a few times on sweat while sparring in a normal ring. This irritates me and afraid some day I'll either catch a nasty punch or injure my groin.

Comment

Working...
                    X