No announcement yet.

Cooking thread: Have a question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking thread: Have a question?

Hey fellow posters. One of the things I have done in life is to act as a chef. Trained in Marteck's in Baltimore (those from the area will know this place if they are over 40 years old) and trained extensively in Louisiana. We also opened a brew Pub in North Beach... I have designed menus, also extensively bartended, designed bar menus, etc.

I want to give something back... If anyone has questions, concerns about preparation...and suggestions are also open when someone has an issue...Maybe this thread can be useful.

To start with if anyone has an emergency for Easter Dinner tomorrow, I will check the thread regularly.

happy Easter All!

What is the fastest method for cooking Chile Rellenos?

Also I'm trying to cut out pork from my diet, whats a better substitute for pork in home made Pozole?

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post

Also I'm trying to cut out pork from my diet, whats a better substitute for pork in home made Pozole?
      Converting to Islam, are we?

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
        Shít I would for a fine ass muslim chick, but nah I don't just genuinely trying to be healthier. A family member of mine got some kind of worm eggs in her brain, doc says it can be from eating too much pork...
        Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

Chile Rellenos:

Well the main time factor is frying/ or sauteing. Some places use a fryer which makes it pretty easy...Some use a home fry box, same idea... Most saute in a pan.

Here are a couple of ways I have seen done:

1) Take pepper, cut out seeds, top, and char over a fire, over a burner on gas stove....Let pepper soften gently, dont worry if it blackens. just let it soften...then stuff with white cheese (Queso usually) batter and saute, or fry.

For batter use good flour, whole wheat is ok, put a couple of good pinches of baking powder/soda in, you can flavor with spices if desired (I would use some paprika, garlic onion powder, salt). Just dip pepper in thoroughly, batter should gently affix, not run off, or glop.

saute until the stuffed pepper scrapes gently against the pan and is brown, turn over.

It should never take long to make this dish. Alternatively, put peppers in boiling water a minute or so to soften. Some people do not soften...Its just the way I would approach it. To me I want the pepper to be soft and the batter slightly crisp.

I hear you on the Pork...

Any stew...whether it be with a corn product (corn is a grass and Pozole is a big ****ney corn product if memory serves correct)requires the same treatment and cuts of meat.

You want meat that can cook for a while and braise gently to break down the fat and add flavor to the vegetables, starches.

I would suggest the following:

1) Chuck Roast (beef). You could use stew meat from beef as well, but chuck has a better fat content. Take the chuck and let it braise down slow cooked with the ingredients. When the hominey is ready, the vegetables cooked through with the meat, take the meat and cut it up, and add back to the dish. Also: this will give you time to cook the meat more without overcooking other ingredients.

Generally speaking, Chuck will roast about the same time as pork shoulder, and Butt cut and has only slightly less fat so this is what I would use.

2) You could use lamb shoulder but you would have to cook less and add some lard to the mixture to get the same proportion of meat and fat to the stew...better to go with the chuck.

3) Now if you want to try something balls to the wall that would be really good, but a bit different use ox tails. Braise them down just like the pork... These would be delicious...USe more though because there is more bone per meat, use like twice as much as you would a chuck roast with one blade bone.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Shít I would for a fine ass muslim chick, but nah I don't just genuinely trying to be healthier. A family member of mine got some kind of worm eggs in her brain, doc says it can be from eating too much pork...
            Pork is very healthy these days. No more trikinosise worms... BUT I would encourage people in general to understand that pigs are very intelligent animals. I stay away from most pork for that reason... I would not eat it at all but the rest of the family loves it. As a matter of fact, I don't mind cooking it for others, but when I hit 60 (am 55 now) I am going veg. I love animals and it breaks my heart that pigs and cows and even chickens are so delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
              Come on Szef what can I help you cook? Omelettes? Deviled eggs? (I get demands for this on Easter because of all the left over eggs and because people get sick of egg salad).

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Chile Rellenos:

Well the main time factor is frying/ or sauteing. Some places use a fryer which makes it pretty easy...Some use a home fry box, same idea... Most saute in a pan.

Here are a couple of ways I have seen done:

1) Take pepper, cut out seeds, top, and char over a fire, over a burner on gas stove....Let pepper soften gently, dont worry if it blackens. just let it soften...then stuff with white cheese (Queso usually) batter and saute, or fry.

For batter use good flour, whole wheat is ok, put a couple of good pinches of baking powder/soda in, you can flavor with spices if desired (I would use some paprika, garlic onion powder, salt). Just dip pepper in thoroughly, batter should gently affix, not run off, or glop.

saute until the stuffed pepper scrapes gently against the pan and is brown, turn over.

It should never take long to make this dish. Alternatively, put peppers in boiling water a minute or so to soften. Some people do not soften...Its just the way I would approach it. To me I want the pepper to be soft and the batter slightly crisp.

I hear you on the Pork...

Any stew...whether it be with a corn product (corn is a grass and Pozole is a big ****ney corn product if memory serves correct)requires the same treatment and cuts of meat.

You want meat that can cook for a while and braise gently to break down the fat and add flavor to the vegetables, starches.

I would suggest the following:

1) Chuck Roast (beef). You could use stew meat from beef as well, but chuck has a better fat content. Take the chuck and let it braise down slow cooked with the ingredients. When the hominey is ready, the vegetables cooked through with the meat, take the meat and cut it up, and add back to the dish. Also: this will give you time to cook the meat more without overcooking other ingredients.

Generally speaking, Chuck will roast about the same time as pork shoulder, and Butt cut and has only slightly less fat so this is what I would use.

2) You could use lamb shoulder but you would have to cook less and add some lard to the mixture to get the same proportion of meat and fat to the stew...better to go with the chuck.

3) Now if you want to try something balls to the wall that would be really good, but a bit different use ox tails. Braise them down just like the pork... These would be delicious...USe more though because there is more bone per meat, use like twice as much as you would a chuck roast with one blade bone.

Hope this helps!
                Gotdamn bro.. instead of offering your expertise here for free, you should just come out with your own cook book, I'd buy it.

You just casting pearls before swine on these boards...

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Come on Szef what can I help you cook? Omelettes? Deviled eggs? (I get demands for this on Easter because of all the left over eggs and because people get sick of egg salad).
                  More like how can I help you lol I'm an excellent cook

Joking but I'd say I'm above average, always get good reviews. Plus I genuinely like cooking, it's very relaxing

But since you asked.... Chicken Wings? KFC like chicken wings?

Comment

The flavor of pozole is really in the pork fat. You can make a good one with chicken, but it's going to taste like chicken soup, not pozole. I'd make it with pork but just skim the fat off the top at the end. An easy way to do this is to let it cool first.

If you're trying to eat healthy, no reason to skip pork. It's actually one of the better choices. Just remove the fat from any meat/chx/pork, in any meal, and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X