No announcement yet.

Sullivan Barrera Turned Down Offer To Fight Sergey Kovalev, per Mike Coppinger

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
    Then i don't get why he would turn down (400K), I can understand him turning down that sort of money because of a title offer etc Even if it is due to the rematch clause 400K is still good money. But what do i know, it looked like he lost on both ends then, not a good business decision unless something comes up for him soon.
    He turned down because of the rematch clause. They offered the same amount for the hypothetical 2nd fight. You figure that if I beat up the A side I'll get a raise in the second one. But no, they want the rematch at the same price...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
      Floyd and Ward are boring, cheating DIVA boxers who cherry picked the majority of their careers. You can't even compare them to a boxer who fought Gary Russell Jr in his third pro fight, or to a boxer who offered to fight Artur Beterbiev as a fricken tune-up fight.

There is no comparison. Plus, it's not about how much criticism someone gets, it's about who deserves or doesn't deserve the criticism they get. In other words, which boxers are getting treated fairly and objectively based on their careers? So when you compare GGG, Kovalev, and Lomachenko to Floyd and Ward, it's apples and oranges. They all get criticism, yes, but only some of them deserve the criticism they get. Some of the criticism is objective, fair criticism, and some of it is biased, unfair criticism. You're saying GGG, one of the most humble, most entertaining action boxers of the last decade, gets less criticism than Floyd, one of the most arrogant, least action-boxers in the history of the sport who is also a repeat woman-beater... well no ****, I would hope GGG gets less criticism than Floyd. That would only be logical.

That's the nuance you don't seem to understand within this discussion. Boxers like GGG are good for boxing in every area where boxers like Floyd and Ward have been awful for boxing. If the sport was only full of boxers like GGG, it would be the most popular sport in the world. If the sport was only full of boxers like Floyd and Ward, it would be less popular than ping pong. Don't you understand that? So yes, GGG may get less criticism than Floyd, but the fact that it's even close tells you there is major bias at play. On the merits, it shouldn't even be comparison.

Now, if you want to compare apples and apples, and make somewhat more fair comparisons, then you should compare the Klitschkos during their primes to Floyd during his run at welterweight, but even then, the Klitschkos fought all their mandatories, and didn't cherry pick fights.

But, if there is any somewhat fair comparison, it is between the dominant Klitschkos, who the refs let hold a lot, and dominant Floyd, who the refs and judges and boxing establishment also protected. Style wise, Ward is also a good comparison, except while the Klitschkos dominated a division for a decade and fought all comers, Ward was cherry picking and retiring off and on and so on. The Klitschkos have like 50 fights each, Ward has 30. But style wise, that's another fair comparison.

But if you look at how the fanbase that hates on GGG, Lomachenko, and Kovalev talks about Floyd and Ward, verses how they talk about the Klitschkos, you will see a huge double standard. That's the point. And then some posters will even bring up Lomachenko, GGG, and Kovalev as examples of boxers who are only popular because they're "white." And they will even mention Pacquiao in that group, even though he's not white. That's how biased some of these posters are. And yet, when you bring up the fact that if people were only rooting for white boxers, how come the Klitschkos, the most dominant white boxers of the last two decades, are not nearly as popular as GGG, Kovalev, or Lomachenko, these biased posters have no response. Because the truth is it's not about skin color to GGG fans, it's about exciting, clean boxers who will fight the best.

TL;DR version...

GGG, Kovalev, and Lomachenko fans are fans of exciting, clean boxers who fight the best, regardless of skin color. That's why they like those three fighters who happen to be white, but not the Klitschkos who are also white.

On the other hand, Floyd and Ward fans seem to be fans of black skin color regardless of excitement or clean boxing or fighting the best. That's why they like any black boxer, no matter how much of a cheat or cherry picker they are.

So there really is a big difference there. It's the opposite of what you seem to think. The double standard is not happening on the side of GGG fans, it's happening on the other side.
      This is what I mean by giving him an unfair bump. Loma fought russell in his 3rd fight because he turned pro at such a late age.

When Loma was 26 when he fought Russell. when floyd was 26 he had fought castillo 2x, hernandez, corrales, and was champion in 2 divisions. ward had beaten kessler, bika, abraham.

You can't pretend race isn't a factor in the popularity of these guys and the hate for the floyd and ward. Read the posts. As I said this goes way, way back.

If you can't be honest about the fact race plays for some in GGG's fanbase there is no point to continue discussing.

The point about liking black skin a lie often posted by some of the very scummiest posters in NSB to justify the racism spewed by white posters. Shamefully you are running with that.

Comment

Working...
      X