Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julian Assange of WikiLeaks Seeks Asylum in Ecuador In Attempt To Avoid Extradition t

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superflo777 View Post
    Did they ever say they want to charge him in the US? Or is that just rumors? It is also said he would be extradited to America in Sweden, that is also just a rumor.
    There has been appointed a commission in the US which has been conducting investigations as to the potential for charging him in the US (which entails extradition).

There have been public calls from US politicians to persecute him.

I would suggest you check the justification given by the Ecuadorian Foreign Minister, which was very thorough as to the reasons for granting asylum. The article I posted above is an okay primer as well, but it's just an opinion piece (I'd suggest reading it at the Guardian website, as there are links to sources included in the text). The Ecuadorian FM gave about a 20 or so minute explanation of the reasoning for the asylum ruling. Regarding the "rumors" of extradition from Sweden, as the FM said (to paraphrase), were he to be sent to Sweden, it would initiate a chain of events in which he would have no further recourse to prevent his extradition to the US.

In essence, the Ecuadorians judged that Assange's fears of political persecution, up to and including potential life imprisonment, being imprisoned without due process, etc. were warranted.

And let me reiterate, I am of course just a person commenting and posting stories on a message board, who is in no way whatsoever involved in these very real political events. These are events with considerable implications. If you really want answers to whichever questions you harbor, the best advice is to seek out answers for yourself and form your own interpretations.
    Last edited by Drunken Cat; 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM.

Comment

When the Guardian comments section speaks the whole world listens. Because the Guardian comments section is totally without political bias.

Oh and he faces charges of espionage in the US, not treason. But espionage is still a capital crime... which I believe would mean that Sweden would be prohibited by EU law from allowing his extradition to America. The EU forbids extradition to the US unless a guarantee is made that the death penalty will not be imposed or carried out.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedoc...jha/110727.pdf

The best thing about Ecuador is their dedication to human rights. Unless you happen to live near oil and then you have none.

Comment

somebody explain this to me, is he being sought for the rape charge and or because of wikileaks?

could be national security agencies making trump up charges in order to destroy his credibility.

Im surprised Iran or North Korea didnt embrace him with open arms.

What are peoples's opinion of assange?

Rebel with a cause or just a plain old criminal?

Comment

Is there a way out to extract Assange from the embassy? I'd work to possibly smuggle him into a cargo plane.

The Ecuadorians are probably getting the run around from the Brits right now in terms of the so called "negotiating"

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
            somebody explain this to me, is he being sought for the rape charge and or because of wikileaks?

could be national security agencies making trump up charges in order to destroy his credibility.

Im surprised Iran or North Korea didnt embrace him with open arms.

What are peoples's opinion of assange?

Rebel with a cause or just a plain old criminal?
            From what I can tell the charges are bull****. Not because of Wikileaks but because of a curious interpretation of "rape" under Swedish law in which someone who has sex with a woman without a condom can be charged with sexual assault if the female said she didn't consent to unprotected sex. It seems that Assange was getting it on with two women unprotected and they didn't care until they found out about each other. They then made filed a complaint.

So the charges are legit, they just wouldn't apply under most jurisdictions.

I think he would beat the charges but would face extradition to the US.

Where does Ecuador come into this? I guess Venezuela won silver in the "save Assange and make the first world look stupid" olympics.

Comment

Trust me, if the U.S. government wants someone bad enough, theyll send SEAL team 6 to get them....and "get" them they will.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Tyson77 View Post
                Trust me, if the U.S. government wants someone bad enough, theyll send SEAL team 6 to get them....and "get" them they will.
                Sorry, we didn't quite need to baseless opinion of a stupid uneducated yahoo yet. Why not wait and we'll let you know by message when we need you.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                  Sorry, we didn't quite need to baseless opinion of a stupid uneducated yahoo yet. Why not wait and we'll let you know by message when we need you.

I know much more than you when it comes to U.S. Military.

Ill let you in on something, I cant say too much but this. the Navy SEALs arent really the best spec op unit we have. We have several other Black Ops units that the public does not know about. Now some of these guys are picked from SEALS,Rangers,Delta. They go through years more of training and all records of them are removed. They do all kinds of things that the U.S. cant go on the record to claim. Assassinations of threats to U.S. security and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                    There has been appointed a commission in the US which has been conducting investigations as to the potential for charging him in the US (which entails extradition).

There have been public calls from US politicians to persecute him.

I would suggest you check the justification given by the Ecuadorian Foreign Minister, which was very thorough as to the reasons for granting asylum. The article I posted above is an okay primer as well, but it's just an opinion piece (I'd suggest reading it at the Guardian website, as there are links to sources included in the text). The Ecuadorian FM gave about a 20 or so minute explanation of the reasoning for the asylum ruling. Regarding the "rumors" of extradition from Sweden, as the FM said (to paraphrase), were he to be sent to Sweden, it would initiate a chain of events in which he would have no further recourse to prevent his extradition to the US.

In essence, the Ecuadorians judged that Assange's fears of political persecution, up to and including potential life imprisonment, being imprisoned without due process, etc. were warranted.

And let me reiterate, I am of course just a person commenting and posting stories on a message board, who is in no way whatsoever involved in these very real political events. These are events with considerable implications. If you really want answers to whichever questions you harbor, the best advice is to seek out answers for yourself and form your own interpretations.
                    An Ecuadorian politician saying he would be extradited from Sweden is not a good enough source for me, sorry. All there is is just rumors which are treated like facts about Sweden wanting to bring him to America, which is blatantly unproven. All he would have had to do is go to Sweden and answer some questions to the investigators, the "rape" case is a joke anyway and he wouldn't be convicted of anything. And that Assange is doing business with the Russian government and their propaganda TV channel Russia Today, the same government that is arresting gays for saying being gay is okay, shows me all I need to know about this man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Tyson77 View Post
                      I know much more than you when it comes to U.S. Military.

Ill let you in on something, I cant say too much but this. the Navy SEALs arent really the best spec op unit we have. We have several other Black Ops units that the public does not know about. Now some of these guys are picked from SEALS,Rangers,Delta. They go through years more of training and all records of them are removed. They do all kinds of things that the U.S. cant go on the record to claim. Assassinations of threats to U.S. security and such.
                      Oh yeah, I think I heard of those guys as well. Where did I hear of them? Hmm. Oh yeah, I remember! In the Call of Duty Black Ops video game!

Yeah there's a difference between a night-time raid on a Pakistani compound near the Afghan border and violating the sovereignty of both Ecuador's embassy and your number one ally Great Britain by sending special military ops into a building in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world after an extremely high profile media target.

If we wanted him badly enough we could get him, but to do so would be a bit of a diplomatic nightmare. This is a political situation, not a military one. But then again you're a gun-obsessed basket case so naturally you assume that any problem can be solved with enough shooty men.

Comment

Working...
                      X