No announcement yet.

Trigonometry existed 3700 years ago

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
    To be honest, i know very little about Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well. So, this is not really an argument i am trying to have because it is really a guessing game, worse when you look at how these things are dated. However, if the sumerian trig tablets found are 3700 years old, then that puts them in 1683 bc. The oldest pyramid is Djoser found in Saqqara, dated to about 2630 bc, this would make it 4,647 years old.

3000 bc would put them at 5017 years old. Additionally, archaeologist and historians are fumbling with the age of ancient Egypt. Their count starts from dynastic Egypt. Remember theory that the Sphinx pre-dates dynastic Egypt.

Here is a crazy theory:

https://www.ancient-code.com/scienti...000-years-old/
    ... you say: ... "Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well."...

... tbh, I don't know what you mean by "academia"... each and every universal history book mentions the emergence of the "four river valley civilizations" of the antiquity...

Comment

To be honest, i know very little about Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well. So, this is not really an argument i am trying to have because it is really a guessing game, worse when you look at how these things are dated. However, if the sumerian trig tablets found are 3700 years old, then that puts them in 1683 bc. The oldest pyramid is Djoser found in Saqqara, dated to about 2630 bc, this would make it 4,647 years old.

3000 bc would put them at 5017 years old. Additionally, archaeologist and historians are fumbling with the age of ancient Egypt. Their count starts from dynastic Egypt. Remember theory that the Sphinx pre-dates dynastic Egypt.

Here is a crazy theory:

The Epic of Gilgamesh from Sumeria is regarded as the earliest surviving great work of literature.

There are parts of the story where a man is created from soil by a god and lives among the animals and gets seduced by a woman. There's another part where the gods send a great flood and a man is instructed to build a boat and fill it with all the animals of the field.

These seem to be an obvious influence on the stories of Adam, Eve, the Garden of Eden and Noah from the Bible which came later.

Comment

Here is a crazy theory:

You are right on the year thing, though.

The Sumerians are often dated to like 3500 BC, and they were in Babylon.

I pretty carelessly extrapolated that this was talking about 3700 BC.

But actually the Sumerians weren't around 3700 years ago. Would've been a successor peoples. Like the Akkadians or something.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          ... you say: ... "Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well."...

... tbh, I don't know what you mean by "academia"... each and every universal history book mentions the emergence of the "four river valley civilizations" of the antiquity...
          There is not a lot on them. Egypt has been studied repeatedly to the point where they have their own discipline (Egyptology). People aren't even sure what they (Sumerians) look like, because they describe themselves as the "blackheads". You would think if they were truly the first civilization, people would study them more than Egypt.

Comment

There is not a lot on them. Egypt has been studied repeatedly to the point where they have their own discipline (Egyptology). People aren't even sure what they (Sumerians) look like, because they describe themselves as the "blackheads". You would think if they were truly the first civilization, people would study them more than Egypt.
            It has a lot to do with the available information for people to study.

Egyptology was borne of Napolean's conquest of Egypt, and later carried on by the British after they took over Egypt.

Egypt has giant pyramids to gawk at, with hieroglyphics. Sumeria has earthen ziggurats, and clay tablets burried in the ground.

What's more, Mesopotamia has been home to waves and waves of civilizations. Egypt was a unified kingdom on the head of the Nile for eons.

Comment

... the fact that people study much, much more the Greek civilization doesn't make it the "earliest civilization"...

... the Egyptian civilization was huge, of course, but the issue here simply is that the first mention of trigonometric formalism was discovered on those tablets dating back to Babylonian empire era...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                ... the fact that people study much, much more the Greek civilization doesn't make it the "earliest civilization"...
                Oh please, studying Greek civilization is studying Egyptian civilization. Greek is not more researched, but rather "learned" because most of their work is preserved.

... the Egyptian civilization was huge, of course, but the issue here simply is that the first mention of trigonometric formalism was discovered on those tablets dating back to Babylonian empire era...
                This is a different argument. We are talking about its usage. I would assume its usage is due to them holding the knowledge. Forgive them for their knowledge not being found on a 5000 years old tablet.

However, the pyramids are found to be built with the golden ratio (1:1.618), and these pyramids are older than the Sumerian tablets found. The pyramids are the Egyptian's written tablets or like you called them "first mention of trigonometric formalism (sic)". Not every genius theorize, some actually practicalize.

Comment

Working...
                X