No announcement yet.

End of Net Neutrality

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
    I want to know what start up has the money to put up millions of dollars of lines and poles?
    Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
    Google, Amazon, Facebook are all strongly against net neutrality. You don't see them in the future pumping a lot of money to become cable providers themselves if it means cheaper bandwidth?
    Google has started laying fiber in certain areas. I worked on one of their projects & hopefully I'll be working on the one in Nashville come spring.

But like i said previously. Even if google, Amazon, Facebook or whomever wants to become an ISP it's not as simple as setting up shop & building an infrastructure. They're shut out of most areas because of franchise agreements the current ISP's have with cities. And the old mom & pop cable companies are being bought out by the bigger companies. Charter/Spectrum just came thru and bought up a bunch of them. Less regulations won't create more comp because the ISP's currently have a monopoly.

When the bells were broken up the same was said. Other companies were allowed to lease existing infrastructure from the bells & sell you their service. (You can't do that in cable) But the cost to lease was so high (as well as neglect on infrastructure by the bells) the companies couldn't make money.
    And now we're back at square one.

Even in cities with two cable companies I've seen apt complexes & HOA's sign agreements with one cable company leaving the other out

Comment

I see alot of posters saying this will open the market to new ISPs.

Can you guys explain how?

Because Im doing my research and Ive yet to see a single expert claim that will help bring in new ISPs.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
        No they won’t when they get rid of Net neutrality there will be no oversight.
        Who will they be staying it too?
        The government will no longer be enforcing content equality
        Lol you’re incredibly naive if you think ISPs will release this information to the Consumer on there own volition
        The Federal Trade Commission will oversee it as they did before the law took effect in 2015. The market will be freer and more money and opportunities will be made.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
          The Federal Trade Commission will oversee it as they did before the law took effect in 2015. The market will be freer and more money and opportunities will be made.
          So what you sayin is these motha****as in here are ******s.. Ain't got to tell me twice, cuz.

Comment

Originally posted by AllBoxingAD View Post
            I see alot of posters saying this will open the market to new ISPs.

Can you guys explain how?

Because Im doing my research and Ive yet to see a single expert claim that will help bring in new ISPs.
            It won't. The industry isn't set up to bring new ISP's. Its set up for existing ISP's to buy the other existing ISP's

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              Google has started laying fiber in certain areas. I worked on one of their projects & hopefully I'll be working on the one in Nashville come spring.

But like i said previously. Even if google, Amazon, Facebook or whomever wants to become an ISP it's not as simple as setting up shop & building an infrastructure. They're shut out of most areas because of franchise agreements the current ISP's have with cities. And the old mom & pop cable companies are being bought out by the bigger companies. Charter/Spectrum just came thru and bought up a bunch of them. Less regulations won't create more comp because the ISP's currently have a monopoly.

When the bells were broken up the same was said. Other companies were allowed to lease existing infrastructure from the bells & sell you their service. (You can't do that in cable) But the cost to lease was so high (as well as neglect on infrastructure by the bells) the companies couldn't make money.
              And now we're back at square one.

Even in cities with two cable companies I've seen apt complexes & HOA's sign agreements with one cable company leaving the other out

Google, Amazon, Facebook has more money than most countries GDP's. For the right price those former ISP contracts will be used as toilet paper, or at the very least they will share the territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Deez View Post
                So what you sayin is these motha****as in here are ******s.. Ain't got to tell me twice, cuz.
                It's like this.

The internet didn't implode before NN came into effect. Prices weren't outrageous. The iron heel of free trade(haha-free trade is so horrible) didn't crush the consumers.

And it won't again.

A lot of fear-mongering. Reminds of the election last year and how fools claimed the world would end.

Right as usual, Bobby Deez...

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
                  Google, Amazon, Facebook has more money than most countries GDP's. For the right price those former ISP contracts will be used as toilet paper, or at the very least they will share the territory.
                  I don't think you're understating what I'm saying. They cant just come into cities and start laying fiber. Cities have contracts with existing ISP's that doesn't allow competition. Google has already tried but have only been able to penetrate a few markets. Markets that were occupied by smaller ISP's. A company like Charter/Spectrum & Comcast aren't giving up major cities like Chicago, New York, Philly, & LA. And they have enough money to keep google out and in court for years.

Legally the system isn't set up to accept new ISP's

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                    It's like this.

The internet didn't implode before NN came into effect. Prices weren't outrageous. The iron heel of free trade(haha-free trade is so horrible) didn't crush the consumers.

And it won't again.

A lot of fear-mongering. Reminds of the election last year and how fools claimed the world would end.

Right as usual, Bobby Deez...
                    ISPs did throttle speeds whenever they felt like it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      It won't. The industry isn't set up to bring new ISP's. Its set up for existing ISP's to buy the other existing ISP's
                      Everything Im reading so far is that its gonna be a big advantage for the big name ISPs and a disadvantage for the little guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X