No announcement yet.

Boxing styles/techniques that are endangered or extinct

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old school styles are gone!

There are no trainers around now who have that knowledge to teach it. The main reason is that "inside fighting" is not a style that is favored in the amateurs and that's where young men begin their careers. The last one I remember who tried to make it through national and international tourny's was Mike Tyson. Mike was taught to pressure and bring punches from the outside and under neath he was not your typical lateral mover who through straight shots and looked to "score" instead of "hurt"!

The trainers today are from the amateur programs themselves a perfect example is Canelo Alverez he just fought using an American style utilizing lateral motion as opposed to stepping in and throwing punches off head movement instead of leg movement.
    He has a very good chance of beating Golovkin if he pushed him back while working short step overs as he punches in combination.
    I believe he knows how to utilize those techniques but his handlers and management prefer that he runs. So he did!

When do you ever see a left hook thrown followed by a head roll under with a right hand punch to the ribs as the roll is half way completed? NEVER! Why? Because you rarely hear a trainer tell his fighter to "punch with" the opponent. They don't want any heavy confrontations any more. Everything is one or two punches then move away. Even when they connect they don't step up to back up they move off! Garbage boxing but young fans have watched Floyd for the last 10 years be successful doing as
    little as possible and winning.
    I get a kick out of people calling the style Floyd utilizes as "his"! That shows you what these boxing fans know about the sports history.

Pro boxing is close to amateur style these days and I don't see it reversing back to multiple styles ever again.

Ray

Comment

Thank you for your deep insight and knowledge billeau2 & others.

Comment

Can't think of many good bob and weavers nowadays. Especially at HW where there were so many famous practitioners of that style.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          The shoulder roll is always going to be a part of the sport if that's what you're reffering to by "Mayweather style", there's always been boxers who try but aren't the most profficient with it,

Don't see too many boxers with the peek-a-boo style anymore, don't just mean just D'Amato's style because that's obviously never going to return untill we get another trainer that specializes in it.

Don't see too much of the "crab" defense, e.g Kenny Norton, Tim Witherspoon, Archie Moore, Grandad Foreman, not extinct but not exactly common.

"Wrestling" was a big part of the sport back in thee olden days.

Yeah I haven't seen that since Witherspoon.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I actually believe that Mayweather-style, that style of fighting, is dead.

Nobody else does it because nobody can do it as well as him.

Some have tried, like Broner and Berto, and failed miserably.
            I think Anthony Yarde does a good job with it but that's about it. Broner's is awful LOL

Comment

Haven't some of you mentioned here that inside fighting and cutting off the ring are lost arts these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Old school styles are gone!

There are no trainers around now who have that knowledge to teach it. The main reason is that "inside fighting" is not a style that is favored in the amateurs and that's where young men begin their careers. The last one I remember who tried to make it through national and international tourny's was Mike Tyson. Mike was taught to pressure and bring punches from the outside and under neath he was not your typical lateral mover who through straight shots and looked to "score" instead of "hurt"!

The trainers today are from the amateur programs themselves a perfect example is Canelo Alverez he just fought using an American style utilizing lateral motion as opposed to stepping in and throwing punches off head movement instead of leg movement.
                He has a very good chance of beating Golovkin if he pushed him back while working short step overs as he punches in combination.
                I believe he knows how to utilize those techniques but his handlers and management prefer that he runs. So he did!

When do you ever see a left hook thrown followed by a head roll under with a right hand punch to the ribs as the roll is half way completed? NEVER! Why? Because you rarely hear a trainer tell his fighter to "punch with" the opponent. They don't want any heavy confrontations any more. Everything is one or two punches then move away. Even when they connect they don't step up to back up they move off! Garbage boxing but young fans have watched Floyd for the last 10 years be successful doing as
                little as possible and winning.
                I get a kick out of people calling the style Floyd utilizes as "his"! That shows you what these boxing fans know about the sports history.

Pro boxing is close to amateur style these days and I don't see it reversing back to multiple styles ever again.

Ray
                The bolded part is what "damns" all the once functional martial arts, including boxing. What Ray has specifically pointed out, how to be in a shoot out and keep your head on your shoulders among other things lol, needs precision and technical excellence. In Japanese swordsmanship the difference between losing your life, a mutual death of you and the opponent (Iuchi) and cutting down the opponent is often less than an inch.

Safety first and as Slapsy maxie once said, nobody gets huyt that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Haven't some of you mentioned here that inside fighting and cutting off the ring are lost arts these days?
                  Among other skills for sure. In the old combo punching you set up a counter punch many times so you caught the guy as he was extending, by slipping under his shoulder and being out of sight, you were temporarily out of mind so to speak.

Foot movements and head movements are partially a function of distance: if I see you scream pick up a beer bottle raise it and come towards me with a primal yell, chances are I will not wait until you are swinging down upon me, and do a quick head movement to just avoid your swing... My movement would be too subtle among other problems, the distance is off so the timing will be off as well... the proper sequence is a repositioning of the body, footwork, to create a nice angle and some distance between us so I can work into and past your strike.

Now if we are trading shots and coming to grips, then my head movement can facilitate very fine adjustments that will affect you but you will not see. For example, as you throw a straight lead, I move my shoulders back and extend my arm under the lead into your arm bicept then turn it over (not moving the feet yet so it is quick) into a hook to the jaw... thats inside work that is martial. Its also not necessarily as effective with large gloves, but if I get the connection it allows me to fight you inside, through extension.

Cutting the ring off is a gross movement. it is putting your body in a place where he has to go to escape, instead of doing what guys like triple G do now adays and give chase across the ring. My point is that many in sport boxing the judges can basically see very little. They can see punches being thrown, and some other gross movements perhaps.

Canelo moved beautifully with a foot pivot against triple G... he did it several times at least to neutralize the weird angle of the punches triple G throws. This is an example of a subtle movement that is effective. The check hook that Mayweather threw is an a derivative of that extension of the shoulders and spine, except you hook in one shot and move the feet off line immediately.

Comment

Is "The Mummy" anything? it was a defensive style u could pick in a video game way back in the day. But I think it's based in reality. I've see people use it. Both arms extended moving trying to parry punches. I saw someone mention fencing. I mean u see it when someone is on retreat and in defensive mode. Ali would extend his arms often to keep people at bay. Flick the jab. Klitsckos seemed to be defensive this way too. Never really covering up tight, but just extending arms to try and deflect away blows. I agree that Floyds style is unique to him at least today. Everyone knows he throws lead rights. Nobody can deal with it. Which means there can't be many people duplicating it in any sparring camps. Nelo got popped in the face right away in their fight. U know it was over.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
                      Is "The Mummy" anything? it was a defensive style u could pick in a video game way back in the day. But I think it's based in reality. I've see people use it. Both arms extended moving trying to parry punches. I saw someone mention fencing. I mean u see it when someone is on retreat and in defensive mode. Ali would extend his arms often to keep people at bay. Flick the jab. Klitsckos seemed to be defensive this way too. Never really covering up tight, but just extending arms to try and deflect away blows. I agree that Floyds style is unique to him at least today. Everyone knows he throws lead rights. Nobody can deal with it. Which means there can't be many people duplicating it in any sparring camps. Nelo got popped in the face right away in their fight. U know it was over.
                      The mummy is an example of when bilateral symetry becomes absurd. If one takes an arm and extends it as a range finder, well guys even up to Roy Jones did a lot of this, before that the one hand could pick off punches coming towards you. but when both arms straighten its not a good situation and yes Klitsko does indeed do a lot of this as he cringes and makes a face that says "If I turn away extend and dont see the punch maybe it won't hit me!

Comment

Working...
                      X