Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Ability to Adjust the Most Important Skill a Fighter Can Have?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Ability to Adjust the Most Important Skill a Fighter Can Have?

In all fights, but especially in world title fights, it seems that the most successful guys adjust to their opponents. I've never been a fan but Mayweather did adjust in fights which obviously played out well for him. Calzaghe did the same. A guy can bring in skills, speed, power, stamina and all, but if he can't adjust to the opponent in front of him and alter his game plan, then it seems, he never makes it as far.

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    In all fights, but especially in world title fights, it seems that the most successful guys adjust to their opponents. I've never been a fan but Mayweather did adjust in fights which obviously played out well for him. Calzaghe did the same. A guy can bring in skills, speed, power, stamina and all, but if he can't adjust to the opponent in front of him and alter his game plan, then it seems, he never makes it as far.
    Yes

The mind controls the body

One thing that you can't measure and gets underappreciated is the ability to adjust....@ the top level is the difference maker

Comment

in before:

' adjusting to ward's bodywork'

Comment

There is direct correlation between skill and adjusting.

Comment

How about having high-ring-IQ after all you can not adjust if you do not identify the problem.

Comment

Yes that's why they are both undefeated.

Comment

I disagree. I think being able to impose your style is the most important skill a fighter has. You can argue that the two are entwined, but just being able to make adjustments is not the most important factor.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post

No, there is no ONE skill more important than others. And "adjusting" isn't a skill, it's way to vague a term, there are many ways to adjust, and not all are physical/immediately obvious to the untrained eye. When we break down how a fighter adjusts, that could very well lead to a discussion of superior skill, but even low ring IQ fighters can make minor adjustments even subconciously, all adjusting means is that you are reacting in a manner positive to the outcome you seek, to an action or lack of, of your opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                  I disagree. I think being able to impose your style is the most important skill a fighter has. You can argue that the two are entwined, but just being able to make adjustments is not the most important factor.
                  Yes I'm pretty torn between which is better. Adjusting is effective, but like countering in a way I think where as imposing your will makes the other guy fight your fight which seems more like an aggressive move. I suppose a fighter can do both?

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

No, there is no ONE skill more important than others. And "adjusting" isn't a skill, it's way to vague a term, there are many ways to adjust, and not all are physical/immediately obvious to the untrained eye. When we break down how a fighter adjusts, that could very well lead to a discussion of superior skill, but even low ring IQ fighters can make minor adjustments even subconciously, all adjusting means is that you are reacting in a manner positive to the outcome you seek, to an action or lack of, of your opponent.
                    Great breakdown, sir.

Comment

Working...
                    X