Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canelo-GGG the only fight where the biggest fighter has asked for a catch weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    Canelo turned pro at 15 compared to GGG at 24, so yeah, Canelo was smaller. Duh. Maybe we should find out what GGG weighed at age 15, lol. Also, EVERYONE fights heavier in the amateurs, as it is same day weigh ins.

As to the thread question, the only one I can think of is Pac-Algeri, when Pac actually imposed a catchweight on the smaller Algeri who was moving up from 140.
    We'll your right, but I was talking about when he started fighting for GBP and HBO.... He started at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
      There's no evidence so we are going to just make some up the other way and declare it fact.
      he weighed 175+ against angulo u dunce. so no brainer he would weigh that again or maybe even higher since he is older and growing.

Comment

Canelo turned pro at 15 compared to GGG at 24, so yeah, Canelo was smaller. Duh. Maybe we should find out what GGG weighed at age 15, lol. Also, EVERYONE fights heavier in the amateurs, as it is same day weigh ins.

As to the thread question, the only one I can think of is Pac-Algeri, when Pac actually imposed a catchweight on the smaller Algeri who was moving up from 140.
        algieri isn't smaller. he is 5'11 and had a longer reach and i believe weighs 150+ on fight night easily. manny is always smaller in all of his catchweight fights. even marquez outweighed manny on fight night.

Comment

Kinda hard to find GGG fighting weight when he was 15 but there is a record when he was 18.

GGG was 18 yrs old in 2000. He won the Light Welterweight Gold Medalist at the World Junior Championships in Budapest, Hungary

Canelo was 18 yrs old in 2008. In that year, he fought from 147lbs to 150lbs. He weight 139lbs on his pro debut (2005, 15 years old)

(Both from BoxRec)

Let us just say Canelo is unfortunate to stand only 5'9" and now belongs at the MW division. remember DLH and Tito are 5'11" welterweights. DLH started at 130lbs, a very tall one. Hopkins was 6"1" Middleweight.

But Canelo should not worry about the size of GGG because GGG is 5'10" only. It will be GGG's skill which worries him, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
            Canelo was 175 against Cotto. 175 POUNDS FFS!

And he's asking for a cw:?? what is this insanity, he's bigger than GGG for gods sake!

Has this ever happened before, where the bigger fighter is asking for a catch weight?
            Canelo is all of 25 years old and still feel physically comfortable getting down to 155/154, as the weight doesn't seem to affect his performance.

The more interesting thing is that the smaller guy is adamantly refusing to give up less weight.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              They didn't show fight night weights but wouldn't be surprising at all. He was 172 for Trout, 174 vs Angulo, and looked really beefy vs Cotto
              He looked smaller than usual to me vs Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                They didn't show fight night weights but wouldn't be surprising at all. He was 172 for Trout, 174 vs Angulo, and looked really beefy vs Cotto
                That is his best fighting weight he said his trainer said it, He is the star now so can dictate to GGG if it is 155 or 160 he is now the champion who made the concession to be champion, if Cotto said 160 he would have still fought.

Anyway he has not said he is ducking GGG

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                  was he really 175 lbs on fight night???
                  That's the question I have. Is it confirmed that he weighed in at 175 the day of the Cotto fight?

Comment

Originally posted by SAN D13GO VILLAN View Post
                    Canelo started his career at 147 and GGG started his at 160 and I'm pretty sure he fought at 168 in the amatures & Olympics....
                    look at the ages of the two guys when they started their careers

and GGG fought at 147 in the amateurs

Comment

LOL, I have a great idea. If Canelo is comfortable coming in at 155, then make the fight at 160. GGG can weigh his usual, and Canelo can come in at 155.

Ofcourse Team Canelo won't see it that way lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X