Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr.- Fighter of the Decade?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather Jr.- Fighter of the Decade?

By now, all of boxing has heard from Floyd concerning Pacquiao being given the award of Fighter of the Decade. Floyd believes he deserves the honour when he states; "All I do is beat everyone they put in front of me and never lose." Pacquiao, says Floyd, has been knocked out twice, outboxed by Morales, and had two draws. "It doesn't make no sense", said Mayweather.

Given the big fight tomorrow night and the constant attention to Pacquiao-Mayweather, I thought I might examine Floyd's claim that he is more deserving of the Boxer of the Decade award than Manny Pacquiao.

Mayweather's record from 2000 to 2010 is 19-0. He has eight KOs in that time (Burton, Corrales, Chavez, N'dou, Brussels, Gatti, Mitchell, and Hatton). Three times in the decade, Mayweather only fought once. These were years 2004 (vs Corley), 2009, and 2010. Floyd made 8 title defenses. Floyd won titles from Castillo, Gatti, Judah, Baldomir, and De La Hoya. 5 titles in 4 divisions since Judah and Baldomir were both welterweights. This is Mayweather's record for the decade.

Pacquiao's record from 2000 to 2010 is 26-1-1. He has 19 KOs, 11 more than Floyd. Pacquiao's loss came against hall of famer Erik Morales, nothing to be ashamed of. Marquez is also a hall of famer, so a draw against him is nothing embarassing. Of course, Pacquiao has gone on the avenge both blemishes. The draw vs Sanchez was a dirty, foul filled scrap that barely counts for a fight. Pacquiao made 16 title defenses, double Floyd. Pacquiao won titles from Ledwaba, Barrera, Velazquez, Marquez, Diaz, Hatton, Cotto, Margarito. 8 titles in 7 divisions.

The facts seem to justify the writers of America who gave Pacquiao the nod as fighter of the decade. As Floyd says, the "numbers don't lie" and Pacquiao has the numbers in his favor. Floyd had the potential to do it, but he just didn't fight enough.
Working...
X