Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Suggests Crawford's Next Fight Won't Be Televised by HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    Didn't Bob say something about Broner? that's probably next.
    Oh yea could be Broner for sure & that could end up being a 140 or catchweight fight instead of a 147 fight so valid point.

My thinking is since Indongo was at the event he just didn't randomly show up there so thats why I'm leaning his way, but sh^t maybe he did just randomly show up there. Idk either way its just my gut saying he's next.

Comment

The number of boxing shows has declined dramatically since Peter Nelson replaced Ken Hershman. It might not make much difference in the grand scheme of things but have ditched HBO because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Oh yea could be Broner for sure & that could end up being a 140 or catchweight fight instead of a 147 fight so valid point.

My thinking is since Indongo was at the event he just didn't randomly show up there so thats why I'm leaning his way, but sh^t maybe he did just randomly show up there. Idk either way its just my gut saying he's next.
        Also keep in mind Beltran just became mandatory for Easter Jr. is he retains against Shafikov. SO Broner will have to deal with Top Rank anyway.

Indongo is a good fight don't get me wrong but who cares about him in the US? Broner is going to do way more for Crawford on a Q-level rating, where as beating Indongo arguably he could beat any scrubby guy and get roughly the same level of boost.

Plus I can't see how Crawford would actually lose to Broner. The only problem is if I am Haymon I want some other things for allowing Crawford the opportunity to beat up Broner. However, if Arum needs some TV dates I am sure Haymon can work something out.

Comment

Its kinda weird that Crawford's promoter for his entire professional career is crying about Crawford not being busy enough. That is the promoter's job. This is why no one is with TR anymore.

Comment

two points

Originally posted by BigStomps View Post
            I see Top Rank getting dropped by HBO pretty soon the same way HBO dropped Al Haymon fighters a few years back......
            1. Top Rank has nowhere else to go, were they to be dropped by HBO; Arum has his streaming service and there are still the Mexican channels, but he's still persona non grata at Showtime and what he did with the TruTV deal makes it pretty clear that no cable broadcaster is likely to commit to Arum either.

2. HBO has nowhere else to look for fights, were they to let Top Rank go; Alvarez is around for PPV, and Golovkin is still there for regular HBO, but I doubt that they put too much heat behind a back-to-back losing Kovalev and the rising prospects under Golden Boy/K2/Main Events aren't ready to carry their own shows yet either.

Top Rank and HBO have built a home together, and they're stuck having to ride this out.

Comment

My first option on what he's suggesting is this is a Sky Sports fight in the UK vs Indongo that'll likely be picked up by Showtime.

My second thought is this could be a fight vs Indongo in the UK that'll be on Sky & streamed or whatever Steve Kim keeps hinting at with Arum that sounds like he could be negotiating a deal with a streaming service player (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc) as we speak.

My third option is this'll be something vs a 147lb PBC guy on FOX or Showtime. I'd say this is a distant third most likely option.
              All three options hinge on Bob Arum being accepting of playing the secondary promoter, which I don't recall him accepting for any fight but the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight (and, even then, he was a petulant partner to deal with, even with the fight letting $100m+ run through his company).

Maybe the 2nd option can work; Matchroom Sport/Sky Sports puts on the entire event their way, Top Rank gets the feed of the fight for the US (and every other market that Hearn and Indongo's camps don't want), Top Rank throws on their own announce team, and runs with it like that for the TopRank stream.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think Arum's interested in a rangey relatively skilled no-name boxer with genuine KO power like Indongo, it's high-risk and low-reward. We'll see though.

Comment

He said something about not wanting his car shot up when they brought up Broner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ck5LIKvYQ4

Comment

Arum made a quip about keeping quiet because he didn't want to see his car all shot up. The Broner fight isn't even on his mind (in a similar position to the Floyd talks, Broner has his own promotional company, his company has a firm position with Showtime, and Crawford not being the draw would leave Top Rank being dictated to by About Billions Promotions, something that Arum wouldn't let stand).

Comment

My first option on what he's suggesting is this is a Sky Sports fight in the UK vs Indongo that'll likely be picked up by Showtime.

My second thought is this could be a fight vs Indongo in the UK that'll be on Sky & streamed or whatever Steve Kim keeps hinting at with Arum that sounds like he could be negotiating a deal with a streaming service player (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc) as we speak.

My third option is this'll be something vs a 147lb PBC guy on FOX or Showtime. I'd say this is a distant third most likely option.
                      You think two non UK fighters will sell there? Maybe put it on an undercard of a UK fight but I don't see that happening. I just can't recall the last time two non UK fighters went over there to fight in a main event.

Comment

Working...
                      X