Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the young fighters in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the young fighters in boxing?

How come non of them seem to be properly fulfilling their talents, all the top young guns in the sport like Khan, Ortiz, Odlanier Solis etc. How come all the top fighters seem to be falling short of their potential, wheres the next Hopkins, Mayweather, Pacquaio? The only prospect today that looks to possibly become elite/cross-over Is Canelo and Haye, Haye already blew his shot at global superstardom, the whole sport as far as the top lebel goes, now seems to be resting on Canelo's 22year old shoulders

Originally posted by shinobi108 View Post
    How come non of them seem to be properly fulfilling their talents, all the top young guns in the sport like Khan, Ortiz, Odlanier Solis etc. How come all the top fighters seem to be falling short of their potential, wheres the next Hopkins, Mayweather, Pacquaio? The only prospect today that looks to possibly become elite/cross-over Is Canelo and Haye, Haye already blew his shot at global superstardom, the whole sport as far as the top lebel goes, now seems to be resting on Canelo's 22year old shoulders
    A bit off topic, but just to give people a notion of how freakish Hopkins really was. I remember this question back in 2002,,

WHERE IS THE NEXT HOPKINS.. lol. They thought he was done than and on his way out.

Comment

Broner is on his way. Not easy to find guys like them though. bradley was excited too that he blew his own too.

Comment

I think they reach stardom too quickly. With certain fighters it is like their career path is already lined out for them as opposed to competing for the path to glory.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
          I think they reach stardom too quickly. With certain fighters it is like their career path is already lined out for them as opposed to competing for the path to glory.
          I think this the key, because of social media like facebook, youtube etc, fighters get really famous really really quickly these days, whereas before a guy would have to fight for years as a world champion before hes famous, now guys like Amir Khan are already international superstars by the end of the olympics, for guys like Brandon Rios etc you only need one fight and one decent knockout and straight away you become really famous, soon as your famous you must fight the best regardless if your ready or not. And this has become the key problem in boxing, Broners gonna fight a top worldclass guy in his next two fights a guy that can box on the backfoot with speed and a jab like Vazquez will beat him, not because hes better but because Broner is not yet experienced enough to deal with that kind of ring general style. The sport is dying a slow painful death imo

Comment

Steady stream coming through on this side of the pond but i know what you are saying...

I think if Canelo and Broner reach potential then theyre two ppv stars right there... Then with one or two lesser ppv stars we have the same situation we are in now with Pac-May being big stars and then just below Cotto, Marquez and the like.

Boxing will be fine as it always is.

Comment

Is that Really Tom Cruise posting?

Comment

There are so many good young fighters right now, and the only two you like are Alvarez, who has proven nothing, and Haye, who isn't young?

Comment

Haye is a prospect? LOL have you heard of Andre Ward? Timothy Bradley? Abner Mares? Adrien Broner? Andre Dirrell?

Comment

Hogwash. The pipeline has in addition to Canelo... Nonito, Ward, Broener, Guerrero and there are still other young fighters with potential. No star is bigger than the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X