No announcement yet.

Fractured rib

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractured rib

I think I fractured a rib in sparring last monday, went to the doctors and had an xray and everything but the results dont come out for another day or 2.

Basically its a few ribs down from the collarbone, it hurts to sneeze, cough, blow my nose and when I breath heavy it sometimes makes a sort of clicking sound (which feels really nasty), im thinking the clicking noise is the cartilage out of place or something....

Anyway the area is swollen and real hard like bone, ibuprofen helps the pain but I read that anti inflammatories might delay the healing process?

Also anyone else had a rib fracture and how long did it take for you to get back into training, I went for a light run the other day and I felt ok at first but then the pain meant I had to run real slow.

I tore the cartilage in my rib cage. One of the lower ribs still sticks out a little bit. It took about one month to heal for me. Same as you if I coughed or sneezed or tried to get out of bed the wrong way,My rib cage would have a fairly painful muscle spasm.
    Last edited by Holtol; 10-04-2010, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Maybe Ive just tore the cartilage then and its not actually a fracture?

Comment

I had almost exactly what you are talking about, i got a crack in two ribs but they weren't broken. It took about 10-12 weeks before i could train again. You shouldnt take the anti-inflamatorys in the beginning as they delay the healing of the bones, just rest for maybe 8 weeks then you will feel the ribs having become thicker at the point where they where damaged. At this time they are healed and you should start to take the anti-inflamatorys for maybe three weeks to make the swelling go away. After that you are ready to train again.

Comment

Most xrays come back within minutes you have a crappy doctor

Comment

Originally posted by Chip2006uk View Post
            Maybe Ive just tore the cartilage then and its not actually a fracture?
            Hopefully, sounds like cracked ribs take longer to heal.

Comment

Wouldn't want to fight whoever you fought in sparring if you got your ribs broke.

Comment

if you are so "hurt" from sparring, maybe you should try pillow fighting

Comment

^if you never get injured from sparring, maybe you spar like a bunny wabbit

Comment

True, they must have a decent bang if they managed to crack your ribs with 16's on.

Comment

Working...
                    X