No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker was probably overrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pernell Whitaker was probably overrated

Let's get one thing clear, Pernell is one of the top ten most skilled boxers of all time. The guy was great at fighting in the pocket, his hand was beautiful, his foot work was as smooth as a preacher's sheets, and his defense was second to none I'm. But, looking back at his resume, you will see that he has no real great names on his resume. He got outboxed by Oscar, he couldn't finish Chavez, and he list to Tito. Now, some may argue that he was out of his prime against Oscar and Tito but that is an Excuse. Pernell couldn't adjust to the speed, power, and skill of Oscar and he couldn't handle the constant pressure Tito was bringing to him. Yes, people say that he schooled Chavez but after rewatching the fight, it isn't as clear as many people make it out to be. There are those who say that Pernell is superior to Floyd but I just don't agree. I don't see a 30 to 34 year old Floyd losing to the Chavez, Tito, or Oscar that Pernell fought. Well, Oscar would probably be 50/50 or 60/40 favoring Oscar due to styles but he would've embarrassed Tito and Chavez with ease. For all the flack guys like Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather get for not fighting top competition, one thing is for sure, they both have a better resume than Pernell. I could drop Floyd in any era and he would be a top 5 fighter in any Era. Hell, I think he would be undisputed at 140 and 147 if he was in his prime today, but nothing Pernell did in his career can convince me that he would beat the likes of Thurman, Porter, Mikey, Crawford, Danny, and Brook. Discuss?
    Last edited by Sheldon312; 02-22-2018, 11:18 AM.

Trinidad is the only fight he legitimately lost, the fight against ODLH could've gone either way and he definitely beat JCC. Sweet Pea boxes the nuts off Porter, Brook and the Garcia's. Very confident he beats Thurman as well, Crawford fight is very intriguing because those 2 remind me a lot of each other

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
      Trinidad is the only fight he legitimately lost, the fight against ODLH could've gone either way and he definitely beat JCC. Sweet Pea boxes the nuts off Porter, Brook and the Garcia's. Very confident he beats Thurman as well, Crawford fight is very intriguing because those 2 remind me a lot of each other
      No, Oscar won 8-4 and Chavez did enough to pull a draw imo. There is nothing on his resume that proves that he beats any of these guys. And Crawford gets hit too much to be considered like Pernell. Pernell was more skilled but Crawford stops him due to size

Comment

I had him clearly winning over JCC. He had the balls to take on prime Tito, Chavez and DLH--something Floyd would never have done. I do think Buddy McGirt beat him in their first fight though. McGirt is highly underrated as a boxer.

I think Whitaker's defense is much more impressive than Floyd's. Whitaker stood in front of fighters and made them miss, he has superior footwork. Floyd relied heavily on clinching and running, particularly in the second half of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          I had him clearly winning over JCC. He had the balls to take on prime Tito, Chavez and DLH--something Floyd would never have done. I do think Buddy McGirt beat him in their first fight though. McGirt is highly underrated as a boxer.

I think Whitaker's defense is much more impressive than Floyd's. Whitaker stood in front of fighters and made them miss, he has superior footwork. Floyd relied heavily on clinching and running, particularly in the second half of his career.
          Their defense was about equal but different Floyd depended more on the shoulder roll while Pernell had superior head movement but I would favor Floyd due to having a little bit more of an offensive arsenal and being bigger and stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
            No, Oscar won 8-4 and Chavez did enough to pull a draw imo. There is nothing on his resume that proves that he beats any of these guys. And Crawford gets hit too much to be considered like Pernell. Pernell was more skilled but Crawford stops him due to size
            These are your opinions, I don't remember what I scored ODLH/Sweet Pea, but I had it close. Sweet Pea clearly beat JCC and I loved Chavez. Pretty sure most people will agree with me on this one, there's no way that fight should have been a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
              Let's get one thing clear, Pernell is one of the top ten most skilled boxers of all time. The guy was great at fighting in the pocket, his hand was beautiful, his foot work was as smooth as a preacher's sheets, and his defense was second to none I'm. But, looking back at his resume, you will see that he has no real great names on his resume. He got outboxed by Oscar, he couldn't finish Chavez, and he list to Tito. Now, some may argue that he was out of his prime against Oscar and Tito but that is an Excuse. Pernell couldn't adjust to the speed, power, and skill of Oscar and he couldn't handle the constant pressure Tito was bringing to him. Yes, people say that he schooled Chavez but after rewatching the fight, it isn't as clear as many people make it out to be. There are those who say that Pernell is superior to Floyd but I just don't agree. I don't see a 30 to 34 year old Floyd losing to the Chavez, Tito, or Oscar that Pernell fought. Well, Oscar would probably be 50/50 or 60/40 favoring Oscar due to styles but he would've embarrassed Tito and Chavez with ease. For all the flack guys like Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather get for not fighting top competition, one thing is for sure, they both have a better resume than Pernell. I could drop Floyd in any era and he would be a top 5 fighter in any Era. Hell, I think he would be undisputed at 140 and 147 if he was in his prime today, but nothing Pernell did in his career can convince me that he would beat the likes of Thurman, Porter, Mikey, Crawford, Danny, and Brook. Discuss?
              You say he's top 10 of all time but then say he wouldn't beat Porter, Garcia, Brook etc?

Comment

U lost all credibitility when u said Chavez fight was a draw......one of the most infamous robberies of all time

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                  You say he's top 10 of all time but then say he wouldn't beat Porter, Garcia, Brook etc?
                  lmfao you can't make this **** up. As soon as I clicked, I knew I was entering an A plus thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                    Due to size disparities and lack of noticeable wins on resume. Pernell was not a big welter and as we all know size matters. There's a reason why skilled fighters like Duran and Wildred got KO in their careers.

Comment

Working...
                    X