Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which boxer revolutionized the sport of boxing the most.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Ali and Tyson.
    Tyson was doing the same peek a boo sh^t Floyd Patterson did no? He was just more effective with it cuz he had more destructive power. And I'd imagine that Cuz D'Amato peek a boo style has more cats pre-Tyson than just Floyd doing it.

Or it'd be like saying Floyd Jr revolutionized boxing off of Michigan twist on the Philly Shell cuz his daddy was doing that sh^t in the 70's. And the problem with this & a lot of the people or styles being a revolutionary move is it didn't realllllllly change things for other fighters. Tyson was effective with the peek a boo. Ali was effective with his floating like a butterfly jabbing quickness. Floyd was exceptional with his Michigan Shell/Shoulder Roll. BUT none of those moves/styles were duplicated & changed the game like the main point of this thread is about with having a dramatic impact on the sport. These styles/moves had a dramatic impact for the particular fighter who utilized the move for max impact against his opponent, but it didn't do so well for others besides the main guy using that/those tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Tyson was doing the same peek a boo sh^t Floyd Patterson did no? He was just more effective with it cuz he had more destructive power. And I'd imagine that Cuz D'Amato peek a boo style has more cats pre-Tyson than just Floyd doing it.

Or it'd be like saying Floyd Jr revolutionized boxing off of Michigan twist on the Philly Shell cuz his daddy was doing that sh^t in the 70's. And the problem with this & a lot of the people or styles being a revolutionary move is it didn't realllllllly change things for other fighters. Tyson was effective with the peek a boo. Ali was effective with his floating like a butterfly jabbing quickness. Floyd was exceptional with his Michigan Shell/Shoulder Roll. BUT none of those moves/styles were duplicated & changed the game like the main point of this thread is about with having a dramatic impact on the sport. These styles/moves had a dramatic impact for the particular fighter who utilized the move for max impact against his opponent, but it didn't do so well for others besides the main guy using that/those tactics.
      Agree. Revolutionize is Steph Curry for the NBA. Now people shooting threes with confidence not seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by sargo View Post
        Agree. Revolutionize is Steph Curry for the NBA. Now people shooting threes with confidence not seen before.
        Great comparison example.

I'm not a big fan of non-combat sports these days, but I've even heard of all these 6'9 cats shooting 3's now which was never much of a thing when I was coming up & still watching the NBA. Sh^t they might bench you if you shooting 3's as a big man back then lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue54 View Post
          Before Johnson people barley clinched or dodge punches at all it was judt stand in same spot punch until the other falls.
          Um... Corbett ?

Comment

Great comparison example.

I'm not a big fan of non-combat sports these days, but I've even heard of all these 6'9 cats shooting 3's now which was never much of a thing when I was coming up & still watching the NBA. Sh^t they might bench you if you shooting 3's as a big man back then lol.
            Curry ain't 6'9". He's 6'2" (and he has a long neck and head). Short wingspan/reach too. Only 180 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by Blue54 View Post
              I gotta say Jack Johnson before him there was no fighter of that caliber of defence and pure boxing ( for his time of course).
              More importantly, he broke the color and racial barriers in boxing.

Comment

I love RJJ & he was amazing, but idk what he revolutionised. In fact I think RJJ did a lot of sh^t wrong, but his speed & power in his prime was some alien sh^t.

Bout the only thing he did that was different was his rooster tactics & how many mfers are doing it rooster style in 2019 to suggest he advanced the game with said rooster moves.

I might be a bit bias with Roy. I’m huge sports fan and hip hop fan which you probably know where I’m going at lol

I could see why people would leave out Tyson and Roy Jones out of this “revolutionize” list.

To me Roy Jones was like the Allen Iverson, Ken Griffey, of boxing. Roy Jones brought a different CULTURE for the 90’s and boxing. You could still see it with this generation and the mimics. Dude was a complete show from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
                  Curry ain't 6'9". He's 6'2" (and he has a long neck and head). Short wingspan/reach too. Only 180 pounds
                  The other guy was talking about Curry not me. I don't watch sports where people play around with balls.

I do know when I see random highlights & catch random moments in games I see these crazy big mfers shooting 3's now.

Thats revolutionizing the game whoever started doing that to the point they got these inside game masters shooting 3's now too to make them bigger threats in more places on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by Htown-Finest View Post

I might be a bit bias with Roy. I’m huge sports fan and hip hop fan which you probably know where I’m going at lol

I could see why people would leave out Tyson and Roy Jones out of this “revolutionize” list.

To me Roy Jones was like the Allen Iverson, Ken Griffey, of boxing. Roy Jones brought a different CULTURE for the 90’s and boxing. You could still see it with this generation and the mimics. Dude was a complete show from start to finish.
                    Bringing a different culture or any culture for that matter isn't revolutionizing the sport of boxing in the ring.

I guess you could suggest it revolutionizes things outside the ring, but thats a whole different thread up for debate then this thread is about.

That Chinese Shoming(sp) guy TR was f#cking with would probably be in that discussion along with that Vijender India guy. Those guys are nearly one man armies for their countries in boxing & in the next 10-20 years I bet we see a slew of Chinese & Indians in pro boxing that will all be saying those two guys influenced them to get into boxing.

Comment

Rocky.....

Comment

Working...
                      X