Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best current boxer never to hold a world title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/v...urray-compubox

Comment

Originally posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
      Re-watching the Joshua vs Povetkin fight, I got to thinking that Povetkin, a good fighter, has never held a full heavyweight title, despite fighting during a historically weak heavyweight era (albeit one featuring a dominant, longtime champion in Wladimir Klitschko)
      Povetkin has held a world title. He's never held a super title.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
        Matthysse (WBA regular doesn't count)
        There's no such thing as "WBA regular."

Matthysse was WBA world champion. If you don't think WBA world titles should be recognized anymore, I agree with you. I stopped recognizing them in 2001. But the industry chooses to still recognize them.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
          There's no such thing as "WBA regular."

Matthysse was WBA world champion. If you don't think WBA world titles should be recognized anymore, I agree with you. I stopped recognizing them in 2001. But the industry chooses to still recognize them.
          Sure, but he wasn't the "super" champion, that's Thurman. I think that title should absolutely be recognized. But the other WBA belts? Nope.

Comment

Sure, but he wasn't the "super" champion, that's Thurman.
            Good for Thurman. He was the champion of the super. Matthysse was the champion of the world. When I was growing up, the great fighters strived to be champion of the world, not champion of the super.

I think that title should absolutely be recognized. But the other WBA belts? Nope.
            None of them should be recognized. The super title isn't a world title, it's a super title, and the world title is meaningless if it's not the top title. Disregarding both is the only way to force the WBA to end this mess.

Comment

Good for Thurman. He was the champion of the super. Matthysse was the champion of the world. When I was growing up, the great fighters strived to be champion of the world, not champion of the super.

None of them should be recognized. The super title isn't a world title, it's a super title, and the world title is meaningless if it's not the top title. Disregarding both is the only way to force the WBA to end this mess.
              When you were growing up is irrelevant. There are four true championship belts per division. The Super is the only WBA belt that matters, not the "world" or "interim" or whatever other title they have.

Stop overthinking it. Thurman is recognized as the WBA champion right now, not Pacquiao. Just as Floyd was for years when he was the Super WBA champion at WW and LMW.

When Golovkin and Jacobs faced off, who was seen as the true WBA champion? Exactly…..

Comment

The Super is the only WBA belt that matters
                Lots of divisions don't have a super champion. So are you saying the WBA doesn't have a champion in those divisions? Machado is world champion. There was no super champion. Then Floyd uses his connections to get Tank the super belt. So suddenly Machado ceases being a champion? It doesn't make any sense.

Stop overthinking it.
                You're the one over thinking it. I'm the one saying the world champion is the world champion and the super champion is the super champion. You're the one saying the super champion is the world champion, unless there's not a super champion, then the world champion is the world champion, but if they add a super champion the world champion isn't the world champion anymore, even though he's still world champion, etc. That's overthinking things way more than simply acknowledging that the world champion is the world champion.

When Golovkin and Jacobs faced off, who was seen as the true WBA champion?
                Nobody. That's why the WBA shouldn't be recognized anymore. Super titles are bogus titles that shouldn't be recognized and the world titles are now worthless because of the super titles. De-recognize the entire organization until the super titles are eliminated.

Comment

Lots of divisions don't have a super champion. So are you saying the WBA doesn't have a champion in those divisions? Machado is world champion. There was no super champion. Then Floyd uses his connections to get Tank the super belt. So suddenly Machado ceases being a champion? It doesn't make any sense.

You're the one over thinking it. I'm the one saying the world champion is the world champion and the super champion is the super champion. You're the one saying the super champion is the world champion, unless there's not a super champion, then the world champion is the world champion, but if they add a super champion the world champion isn't the world champion anymore, even though he's still world champion, etc. That's overthinking things way more than simply acknowledging that the world champion is the world champion.

Nobody. That's why the WBA shouldn't be recognized anymore. Super titles are bogus titles that shouldn't be recognized and the world titles are now worthless because of the super titles. De-recognize the entire organization until the super titles are eliminated.
                  Lots of divisions don't have super champions? Sure, those divisions also don't have "world" champion as the secondary belt or regular champion etc. There are four main belts per division, and the one recognized for the WBA is the super champion.

As for the Machado situation? Complete and utter BS. He got screwed....But that doesn't mean Matthysse was ever a true champion.

Comment

Luis Ortiz, sad we never got to him in his prime!

Prime Ortiz likely clears heavyweight an becomes champ, with the counter punching skills, south paw defense, KO power then add the youthfulness of stamina and athleticism, and we all think current Ortiz is the boogeyman sheeesh!

Comment

Lots of divisions don't have super champions? Sure, those divisions also don't have "world" champion as the secondary belt or regular champion etc.
                      There's no such thing as a WBA regular champion. The WBA has world champions, super champions, continental champions, international champions, intercontinental champions, all sorts of champions. But the one kind of champion they don't have is a regular champion.

There are four main belts per division, and the one recognized for the WBA is the super champion.
                      The networks, fighters and promoters seem to recognize both. The WBA has no consistency. You can't say only the super championship is recognized because plenty of divisions don't have a super championship.

Are you saying Dmity Bivol isn't a world champion?

Are you saying Kiryl Relikh isn't a world champion?

Are you saying Daniel Roman isn't a world champion?

And if a promoter snaps their fingers tomorrow and asks the WBA to sanction a random fight for the super title, does Bivol suddenly not exist anymore? Your argument doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X