No announcement yet.

Meldrick Taylor's Career & Potential

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Yes, Taylor was an incredible talent and had it not been for that fight I believe he could have been an ATG. The toll that defeat took on him mentally destroyed him.

He's one of my favorite fighters and we could have seen some spectacular fights from him had he not been robbed of his victory over a prime Chavez.

Taylor was awesome and to say he couldn't beat guys like Tito is kind of assuming something you have no way of knowing. How many guys like Taylor did Tito fight? I will say this. Tito could not have put up the performance against a prime Chavez that Meldrick did.
    Trinidad would've beat up a prime Chavez. Not because he was a better/greater fighter, but simply because he was a big hard hitting WW, while Chavez peaked at LW and never really did anything of note at WW. Trinidad was too big and Chavez just didn't have the size/style to overcome it, even though Chavez was a better overall fighter.

Which goes back to the point of Taylor and size. It's pretty difficult to envision the smaller Taylor really staying at the top of the WW division with the talent around him and his style to mix it up even with it wasn't in his best interest. After Chavez, Taylor had the 2nd best win of his career agaisnt Davis, but the WW division was very stacked in the early and mid 90s. His management obviously wasn't the type to protect him. He faced Chavez after like 23 pro fights and they put him in there with the bigger, hard-hitting Norris right after Taylor had struggled with Glenwood Brown.

If Taylor really could've stayed at 140 and not have it compromise his performance, then I think he could've had a nice reign. If the stories of him having too much trouble at 140 and having to move up are true, and this is not hard to believe given his stocky frame, then he'd be in for a tall order with the talent around WW at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
      People often say Taylor could've been an ATG if not for the beating he took against Chavez but I really don't see it. I always see a short stay at the top of the sport for him.

I'm going with the assumption that the claims of his weight problems at 140 were legit. It's definitely not hard to envision him having problems making 140 with his stocky frame. He did make it later in 1994, but I think that was partially because he was simply desperate for a big fight and a chance at personal revenge with Chavez.

If he gets the win over Chavez, or never fights him at all, how much different does his career go? He goes to welterweight, wins the WBA title against Aaron Davis in 1991, but look at the talent level around him. Stable-mate Pernell Whitaker goes to WW a couple years later. Cristano Espana would've always been a touch matchup for Taylor IMO due to his style and dimensions (or Taylor's lackthereof). Ike Quartey and Felix Trinidad rose to the top of the WW scene in 1993/94. Simon Brown would've been a real dangerous opponent for Taylor with his power.

Taylor might've lasted a little longer at the top of the sport since there's less damage to the body, but with his style and the talent around him, I can't see his career going that much different in terms of his stay at the top.

Agree. Larry Merchant said it accurately during the Espana fight, Taylor is too short for the weight to Box at range and does not have the power to demand respect at the higher weight, meaning he has to go inside against a bigger man to be effective or he stays out side and gets walked through ala Terry Norris because he does not have the power, well i think that is what he was saying, although its not word for word.

Comment

Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
        I'm a strong believer in letting the fighter finish the fight, not the ref. Taylor was up and talking to the ref, it was a bad call in my eyes.
        True,it was a mistake by Steele. I dont think there was anything screwy about it,and I wouldnt call it a robbery,but imo it was definitely a mistake,and thats the way it goes sometimes.

As good and as talented as Meldrick was,I am not so sure that he would have become an ATG,I think we would have fallen short in that regard.

Comment

I'd say he couldn't have been an ATG because 1) he wasn't big enough to be effective at Welterweight and 2) he was better at 140. The only path to greatness at 140 was through Chavez, and he wasn't going to handle that because, even if he gets the two seconds, they end up in rematches and Chavez finishes what he started. Taylor's lucky it was a twelve round era. In fifteen, he might have gotten the benefit of the doubt in Chavez I and the physical toll would have been uglier than it was.

Still, fastest hands I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Refs shouldn't take the clock into consideration, only the fighters responses. I was rooting forv Taylor, but it was the right call.
            It was one of the worst calls in boxing history. He was fully capable of finishing the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
              It was one of the worst calls in boxing history. He was fully capable of finishing the fight.
              Then he should have acknowledged the referee and nodded he could go on. He was on queer street and Steele was right. Taylor won more rounds; Chavez won the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                Then he should have acknowledged the referee and nodded he could go on. He was on queer street and Steele was right. Taylor won more rounds; Chavez won the fight.
                I think Taylor won more rounds AND the fight, but he exhausted everything he had doing so. Chavez caught up to him and took advantage, but bottom line is Chavez would not have been able to even throw another punch if the fight continues. There was no danger of anything worse happening to Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  I think Taylor won more rounds AND the fight, but he exhausted everything he had doing so. Chavez caught up to him and took advantage, but bottom line is Chavez would not have been able to even throw another punch if the fight continues. There was no danger of anything worse happening to Taylor.
                  Assuming Steele wasn't aware of how much time was left, the question to be asked was should Taylor take any more punishment. The answer was no. He was a beaten man whose only case was the clock. He looked like he'd been run over by a truck.

Comment

From what i recall im sure Taylor actually did answer Steele when asked if he was okay, cant remember if he nodded or said im okay but he did respond, however when Taylor looked across to Duva he decided to stop the fight despite Taylor apparently answering his question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                      From what i recall im sure Taylor actually did answer Steele when asked if he was okay, cant remember if he nodded or said im okay but he did respond, however when Taylor looked across to Duva he decided to stop the fight despite Taylor apparently answering his question.
                      Nope. He just stares blankly and looks over at the corner. Around the seven minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3aktPchPes

Comment

Working...
                      X