Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kovalev bench pressing. But weights are bad doe...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
    Redd Foxx where are ya?
    Other posters here didn't embarrass you enough yet? You're struggling to find any evidence to support your opinion (which is the opposite of the scientific method).

You posted Danny Garcia benching an EMPTY bar. Now, you found Kovalev doing some moderate weight benching and you think it somehow discredits the idea that heavy weight lifting is not good for boxers. The weight Kovalev is pushing is not much different than some bodyweight exercises. Does that click with you at all?

One of the greatest trainers of all time, Manny Steward, was against his boxers doing heavy weight training. Do you, or even Kovalev, know more than him? What about Ali? Or, Mike Tyson, who didn't push heavy weight in his prime?

Comment

Sometimes athletes can struggle with new exercises, not because they lack strength but? Because they lack neuromuscular coordination when performance a totally new exercise! The bench press is a pretty poor exercise, laying on your back and lifting a weight is pretty useless in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
        that is child weight...lol
        I was thinking the same thing! And to top it off, he's shaking and the bar is dipping. WTH did I just see? Kovaweak in the house!

Comment

Jusy for everyones info

Rahman maxed 500lb

Wlad did 275lb x 17

Comment

Whats really funny, is guys who have never been in the ring telling those that have how things are.

I too thought Kovalev was just playing around.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
              Can you lift more than 225 lbs?
              I could. For reps too when I fought at Jr. Middle and back then it was 156 (Am's). I always thought I was weak with the weights too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                Just goes to prove that being a strong weightlifter doesn't equal strength in the ring.
                Sure it does.

Take power lifter and a boxer put them in a ring and not allow them to throw punches and have them work in the clinch and the boxer will get tossed like a ragdoll.

Comment

Originally posted by Banderivets View Post
                  Sure it does.

Take power lifter and a boxer put them in a ring and not allow them to throw punches and have them work in the clinch and the boxer will get tossed like a ragdoll.
                  If you take a janitor and a boxer and put them in a ring and not allow them to throw punches and have them clean toilets...the janitor will make the boxer look like an absolute bum.

Comment

Sure it does.

Not if that power lifter hasn't trained in that. I'm tall so I always got stuck with the big heavyweights in jiu jitsu. I can't count the number of big guys, who had as much as 50lbs on me, I threw around because they were simply less experienced.

Boxers train clinching and such and will have the advantage over someone who hasn't trained in that. I learned that the hard way when I went from grappling to boxing. My talents didn't transfer to boxing type grappling and I got beat up until I learned the art.

Comment

Sure it does.

Definitely not.

Comment

Working...
                      X