Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is a greater weight disparity allowed between heavyweights than sub heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree with anyone who argues for splitting the division, it's the glamour division for a reason, it's that much more meaningful to win titles and unify, and don't give me the "smaller fighters can't overcome the giants" nonsense, skill trumps size every time, and so can will, this is boxing.

The people who also make 1-2 division jumps a big deal are usually agenda driven and/or ignorant to the physique of a fighter and athlete, I fluctuate between a 12 lb range all year and am an amateur boxer and the differece in my performance is negligible.

Comment

Wilder is about 220 pounds. Is he such a shrimp that he need a special 240 pound limit weight class to protect him from from 245 pound AJ or Wlad or even fat 260 pound Fury? I don't think so.

Comment

There's not that many great HUGE fighters. At a certain point, there's a law of diminishing returns. The bigger you are, the slower you are, and there's not a huge power difference between guys like Tyson, Dempsey, Marciano, and Tyson Fury, the Klitschkos, & Primo Carnera

Comment

Originally posted by Tabaristio View Post
          Why is a heavyweight boxer allowed to outweigh his opponent by 50 pounds, but a boxer below heavyweight can't?
          It's all about economics. Heavyweight is one of the big money divisions. Cruiserweight is one of the small money divisions. Adding Super Cruiserweight would just add an even smaller money division and guys who could easily make Super Cruiserweight would still be jumping to Heavyweight to get to where the money is.

Will there someday be a Super Cruiserweight division with a limit of 225 pounds? Probably. But when Anthony Joshua is 249 pounds, would Wilder rather fight at Heavyweight where the huge money is, or fight at Super Cruiserweight for **** money?

If we ever come to the point where the top heavyweights are 300 pounds, they'll add an 18th division. But right now the top heavyweights are 220-250.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            It's logical but no one wants to hear it for some reason. I've heard endless arguments about leaving HW alone but never a good one. If a guy like Golovkin or Marquez fights a slightly larger opponent, people freak the fk out, saying how unfair it is, etc. Yet, a HW can be massively out-muscled and no one gives a fk.
            I think it's a shame as there's a lot of talent that never gets anywhere because they're too large to cut to cruiser but not large enough to compete with the monsters in the division.
            Its not really about weight but more power to weight ratio , little guys have a lot of power to weight so a small increase in weight has a lot of power increase, where as they get bigger the power increase is less of a percentage of their weight, so for a HW a lot of weight doesn't increase the power that much, For guys in the 122 to 147 range as an example , for only 25lbs its a massive jump in power.

A HW from 220 to 265 is not much difference and not near like with the little guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
              Its not really about weight but more power to weight ratio , little guys have a lot of power to weight so a small increase in weight has a lot of power increase, where as they get bigger the power increase is less of a percentage of their weight, so for a HW a lot of weight doesn't increase the power that much, For guys in the 122 to 147 range as an example , for only 25lbs its a massive jump in power.

A HW from 220 to 265 is not much difference and not near like with the little guys.
              I absolutely disagree. I'm a big guy who has trained with REALLY big guys and a 25 to even 40lb difference in HWs is like removing an entire weight division from some of the smaller classes.

Comment

I absolutely disagree. I'm a big guy who has trained with REALLY big guys and a 25 to even 40lb difference in HWs is like removing an entire weight division from some of the smaller classes.
                And 25lbs in the lower classes is 5 weight classes, Im saying the power to weight ratio is more pronounced in the lower weights. 4lb is a lot to a flyweight . be like 15lbs to a HW.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                  And 25lbs in the lower classes is 5 weight classes, Im saying the power to weight ratio is more pronounced in the lower weights. 4lb is a lot to a flyweight . be like 15lbs to a HW.
                  I get what you're trying to say but it just doesn't scale. Forget the midgets. Lets start with an average sized guy. A MW fighting a LHW is giving up 9% of his weight. A 225lb HW giving up 40lbs is nearly double that. Double. It's just not a level playing field.

Comment

I get what you're trying to say but it just doesn't scale. Forget the midgets. Lets start with an average sized guy. A MW fighting a LHW is giving up 9% of his weight. A 225lb HW giving up 40lbs is nearly double that. Double. It's just not a level playing field.
                    How many 265 pounders have you seen with the athletic ability and sheer power/speed from a good 225ish pounder? More importantly...balance in the ring. There comes a time where the size becomes a detriment and they're just too slow and clunky. Not everyone is Lennox Lewis. In general we've seen the real "giants" have this lack of finess that translates into a lack of snap, speed or unable to turn their punches over. Seriously...if people at 225 are so concerned about the weight difference in a class with an essential unlimited weight cap they can cut 25 pounds and fight at cruiser. Smaller, leaner fighters sometimes cut more...

I get what you mean...Taking a Lennox right hand if you're 40+ smaller is a nightmare...but lets be real...once you get up into the 220s and up you're probably sleeping anyone regardless of size. At those weights most of the time its who sets up to land the first nuke. Who would I rather get hit flush by if I'm 220...Lennox or a young sub 220 Tyson? Neither...

Comment

Working...
                    X