Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When a Name Fighter Has Another Name Fighter Hurt in a Big Fight...and backs off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crawford vs Postol.
    Rigo vs everyone.
    Lara vs everyone.
    Manny vs everyone post Cotto.
    Rocky Juarez vs everyone.
    Rau'Shee Warren vs Shakiyanov.
    Thurman vs Garcia and Bundu.
    David Price before he gets knocked out all the time.

Comment

One that comes most to mind is Margarito/Pacquiao. Cotto/Pac to an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        I think Keith Thurman really put on the running shoes in what could have been a hell of a fight with a huge audience tuning in. He's not the only one, but I feel like in a big fight with so much on the line, isn't it best to go for the KO and give the fans what they want? Most likely he could have done it without taking any kind of beating or anything. The fans deserve better than that. And legacy wise, that flat out sucked.
        I'm sorry, but when it's not you taking the punches...**** the fans. They want to watch skill or just a fight? Go hang out at the local street corner or turn on mmgay if you want to see amateurs fight.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
          Crawford vs Postol.
          Rigo vs everyone.
          Lara vs everyone.
          Manny vs everyone post Cotto.
          Rocky Juarez vs everyone.
          Rau'Shee Warren vs Shakiyanov.
          Thurman vs Garcia and Bundu.
          David Price before he gets knocked out all the time.
          Man, great list. I can't understand Juarez. He could have pulled the trigger on Barrera in that first fight for sure, but let it slide and of course, lost. That's an excellent example.

Comment

I have seen many times where a fighter hurts his opponent and tries to get him out of there but uses too much energy trying to complete the task and backs off. Often settling for a decision because he is tired. Many times this has been the case. Admittedly often they get back to the corner and wisely they instruct him to quit trying for the knockout and to go back to the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by Metho_4u View Post
              I'm sorry, but when it's not you taking the punches...**** the fans. They want to watch skill or just a fight? Go hang out at the local street corner or turn on mmgay if you want to see amateurs fight.
              I keep seeing this. Listen. It's real simple. If you take the stance that no fighter can be critiqued which seems like you do on this issue(but I'm sure you'll say you don't on other issues), you sound like you're taking the viewpoint of the fighter/trainer,etc. As a boxing fan, you should care about the performance. I mean, this is like a bunch of PC crap about don't criticize somebody until you've been in there. So no reviewer should say a book is **** because he's never tried to write one? No one should criticize a movie because they've never tried to make one? I will praise and criticize any fighter in any way as we are on a boxing forum which is what it's for. No. I'm not taking the punches. I'm not even asking for the fighters to take more punches, but in a big fight, pumping the brakes when you've got the guy is a waste of time for the fans and without them, you have no sport. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                I keep seeing this. Listen. It's real simple. If you take the stance that no fighter can be critiqued which seems like you do on this issue(but I'm sure you'll say you don't on other issues), you sound like you're taking the viewpoint of the fighter/trainer,etc. As a boxing fan, you should care about the performance. I mean, this is like a bunch of PC crap about don't criticize somebody until you've been in there. So no reviewer should say a book is **** because he's never tried to write one? No one should criticize a movie because they've never tried to make one? I will praise and criticize any fighter in any way as we are on a boxing forum which is what it's for. No. I'm not taking the punches. I'm not even asking for the fighters to take more punches, but in a big fight, pumping the brakes when you've got the guy is a waste of time for the fans and without them, you have no sport. Nuff said.
                So wait....making a movie and watching a movie are the same thing as watching boxing, and getting pissed because both guys didn't beat the **** out of each other? Same thing with a book too huh? When was the last time writing or reading a book killed or severely injured someone?

You're another moron who doesn't look at the subtle nuances that separate fighters and makes them great. Boxing is about SKILLS. This has nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with not knowing wtf you're talking about. There is a reason it's been called a "gentleman's sport". I'd honestly like to see earlier stoppages and better overall stoppages in the sport rather than hearing about someone being in a coma or dead. Go watch violent movies if you're into that. I'm for watching skill and protecting the fighters health, which in enough danger as it is.

Comment

So wait....making a movie and watching a movie are the same thing as watching boxing, and getting pissed because both guys didn't beat the **** out of each other? Same thing with a book too huh? When was the last time writing or reading a book killed or severely injured someone?

You're another moron who doesn't look at the subtle nuances that separate fighters and makes them great. Boxing is about SKILLS. This has nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with not knowing wtf you're talking about. There is a reason it's been called a "gentleman's sport". I'd honestly like to see earlier stoppages and better overall stoppages in the sport rather than hearing about someone being in a coma or dead. Go watch violent movies if you're into that. I'm for watching skill and protecting the fighters health, which in enough danger as it is.
                  You demand no quality. Well, there are plenty of guys like Ward and Lara to keep you happy. They never go for the KO. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                    Right... And then if he gets stopped or loses those same fans he tried to put on a show for will turn their backs on him cause that good precious "0" is gone. No thanks. Whoever likes him will tune in whether he One Times someone or just boxes their ears off.

Comment

So the safety first May-Pac disaster was GOOD for boxing? That turned off so many fans it's not even funny. That's what safety first gets you. These guys are fighters. They're big boys. Loma-Walters is a prime example. Loma had him hurt in the seventh and was going for it. He would have finished him had Walters not quit. He went for it. So many guys today don't. This is why Loma stands out.

Comment

Working...
                      X