Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assisted Suicide Is Now Legal in Canada-And One Province Is Providing Free Drugs to

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assisted Suicide Is Now Legal in Canada-And One Province Is Providing Free Drugs to

https://news.vice.com/article/assist...drugs-to-do-it

It's now legal for doctors and other healthcare providers in Canada to help patients die.

The federal government missed its June 6 deadline to implement its assisted death legislation, Bill C-14, so provinces across Canada are taking things into their own hands when it comes to regulating how and when people can end their own lives.

Canada joins other jurisdictions such as The Netherlands, Belgium, and Switzerland, all of which have their own rules around doctor-assisted suicide.

You have to be terminally ill to qualify but it's a step in the right direction. A friend of mine's dad had Parkinson's and recently passed away. The last year of his life was a nightmare. I hope they look into allowing it for people in terrible condition, not just terminal illnesses.

Comment

I wonder if they will use the same dispensaries as the legalized pot?

Comment

Good move. The American system of prolonging those last worst years of a persons life seem ****ty to me. There is lil to no quality of life for many of these people in sickly states for their last months & years. Whats the point of prolonging that?

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
          You have to be terminally ill to qualify but it's a step in the right direction. A friend of mine's dad had Parkinson's and recently passed away. The last year of his life was a nightmare. I hope they look into allowing it for people in terrible condition, not just terminal illnesses.
          I'm right there with you in agreement on this issue.

Too many people in this country are against it for ridiculous (usually religious) reasons. Even the ones I've met that are in favor or it typically make sure to mention that they only favor it in terminal conditions which, in my opinion, reveals their ignorance of disease.

You shouldn't have to be terminal to qualify for euthanasia. There's a litany of other non-terminal diseases out there like parkinson's disease, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, multiple sclerosis, and ALS that can (and will) negatively impact a patient's overall quality of life to the point of severe suffering.

That's not even getting in to the whole "slippery slope" of mental illnesses that can be just as severely crippling for a patient as physical illnesses : Conditions like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, chronic depression, alzheimer's disease, dementia, and others.

For me, personally, it all boils down to quality of life. I don't think any lawmaker or voter should have the right to decide (for whatever reason) what's best for another human being who is clearly in a far better position to make that judgment call than they are. Even in cases of mental illness.

Granted you have to regulate it and put up strict guidelines for doctors and patients to follow, but I don't see how that would be hard to implement when so many other western societies have already done precisely that.

It's always blown my mind that we as human beings will do the right thing for our pets when their suffering is clearly impacting their quality of life, but when it comes to a human being we won't do the same thing for them or allow them to do it for themselves. We'll go as far as hooking brain-dead motherfuckers to oxygen tubes and machines that breathe for them before we'll step back and let them make their own choice regarding how they want to die.

I've already made my mind up regarding the situation long ago : When my quality of life gets to the point where I feel like it's not worth it anymore I'm going to do the deed myself. Hopefully lawmakers get off their asses before then and I can do it in a peaceful medical setting with the help of medical professionals, but if not I'm going to do it at home with a lethal overdose of heroin.

(I've had morphine in the hospital before and it's an amazing high. So I figured that since heroin and morphine are essentially the same drug, of all the methods I could use to top myself, that one would be the most peaceful and appealing given my experience with the high.)

My condolences for the loss of your friend's father.
          Last edited by ßringer; 06-09-2016, 10:59 PM.

Comment

It comes down to economics. The last 6 months of a dying persons life is bankrupting the health care system. The outcome is inevitable and futile...and the suffering is pointless for both the dying and their families.

Comment

Any guesses on how soon AlexKid moves to Canada?

Comment

Only bad in my opinion is if life insurance companies refuse to pay on it. That would screw up the families of the deceased.

Comment

Working...
                X