Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people see Mayweather as the best at 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techliam View Post
    I'm not necessarily saying Trout is the best at 154 either. Trout has beat more 154 fighters than Mayweather though. I'm just asking what there is that makes Mayweather the best at 154. That Cotto win certainly isn't it. Head to head, a lot of people see either Trout or Canelo beating Mayweather because they are much bigger.

As for the Pacquiao thing, i'd take issue for that if Pacquiao was seen as no.1 at 154 back then, too. Mayweathers title at 154 is legitimate, no problems with that. Mayweathers ranking as best at 154, is not (for me).
    If not Floyd than who? Who else has the resume and is worthy to you? Trouts fought more guys at 154 but he hasnt fought any real contenders either. I saw the Delvin Rodriguez fight and he was fading at the end. I walked away thinking hes OK. I think Trout improved his stamina in the Cotto fight but defensively he was getting hit with bombs. Cotto lands a few jabs against Floyd and people say hes getting old. So what would you rather be hit with bombs or jabs? Trouts victory over Cotto was impressive but I thought Floyds victory was a little more impressive.

Comment

I'm not necessarily saying Trout is the best at 154 either. Trout has beat more 154 fighters than Mayweather though. I'm just asking what there is that makes Mayweather the best at 154. That Cotto win certainly isn't it. Head to head, a lot of people see either Trout or Canelo beating Mayweather because they are much bigger.

As for the Pacquiao thing, i'd take issue for that if Pacquiao was seen as no.1 at 154 back then, too. Mayweathers title at 154 is legitimate, no problems with that. Mayweathers ranking as best at 154, is not (for me).

If you do not see Floyd as #1. Who is your #1 at 154?
      You can't just say he is not #1 but do not post who is the #1.

Comment

Mayweather beat Cotto at 154, now people see him as the best there. I see the Mayweather-Cotto fight as a battle of WW's with a bit more muscle, neither should be campaigning with the JR Middleweights. Cotto was wrongly ranked no.1.

Canelo and Trout are natural 154lb'ers. If Mayweather beat one of these, I could see the argument. But he hasn't, so why is he considered better than boxers naturally at this weight, naturally much bigger?

I can see why Mayweather fans would feel offended by this.
        But Mayweather doesn't have to be unbeatable at any weight he fights in, to be at the level he is at. In fact, for all we know he is probably very vulnerable at 154 against Cotto/Trout. All it means is that 154 is too big for him.

I can see Trout beating Mayweather by UD. Canelo, i'm not too sure.

Got it in one.

Anyway, it's not about what Cotto had done, or hadnt as is the case, because it's as much about the other guys at 154 also having done nothing. Possibly even less than Cotto. Mayweather beat him, so he becomes a kind of default number 1 until someone that is probably a more true 154 pounder and likely to have actually fought there a long time does something worthy.

It's just a default position to be honest. 154 is a **** division and no one has done anything, no one is fighting each other, there hasn't been a true number 1 guy in ages. Floyd is just holding the position at name value until someone else comes along and does something there. He's not going to fight any true 154 pound guys, so there is no point thinking down that line.

It's just a time thing. Eventually someone'll do something there.

Comment

It was simply because of Cotto, who should not have been #1 either. While much of the division have not fought each other, there are guys like Molina and Lara and now Trout who have done more than others, and have fought each other. They deserve #1 if anyone does. Cotto never deserved it.

Comment

Only thing Floyd has going for him his a Name! Everything under that name is garbage. As for being the best at 154 for beating a washed out Cotto.....

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
              Only thing Floyd has going for him his a Name! Everything under that name is garbage. As for being the best at 154 for beating a washed out Cotto.....
              washed up, but not weight drained

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
                washed up, but not weight drained
                lol if your speaking of when Manny fought the better version of Cotto at WW....remind yourself that when Cotto fought Clottey the fight before he weighed a lb over the CW limit...:WORD: Wow...now thats weight drained!
                you act like he asked him to come down two divisions or up two divisions...oh wait...thats Floyd who does that! :WORD:
                Well at least you have enough sense to know that Cotto was washed up when he fought Floyd.
                oh....isnt funny, that now everyone saying that Cotto needs to fight at 147 and not 154....hes not that effective at 154. Looks like Manny fought him at his effective weight class!

Comment

This is a fair question, but when the ONLY notable guy on your resume is Miguel Cotto (after Mayweather already beat him), Trout is not going to get the nod over Floyd as the top at 154lb and he shouldn't. You have to at least factor what the guy has done in neighboring weight classes.

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
                    If you do not see Floyd as #1. Who is your #1 at 154?
                    You can't just say he is not #1 but do not post who is the #1.
                    Trout and arguably Canelo have done more than Mayweather at this weight.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                      lol if your speaking of when Manny fought the better version of Cotto at WW....remind yourself that when Cotto fought Clottey the fight before he weighed a lb over the CW limit...:WORD: Wow...now thats weight drained!
                      you act like he asked him to come down two divisions or up two divisions...oh wait...thats Floyd who does that! :WORD:
                      Well at least you have enough sense to know that Cotto was washed up when he fought Floyd.
                      oh....isnt funny, that now everyone saying that Cotto needs to fight at 147 and not 154....hes not that effective at 154. Looks like Manny fought him at his effective weight class!
                      whoa did i say anything about manny? doesn't look like it, i was just making an observation. guilty conscience maychance? lol so little effort, so much rebuttal. you're too easy man...

Comment

Working...
                      X