Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sparring a taller guy with a long reach and good jab?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sparring a taller guy with a long reach and good jab?!

hi guys,
    had some trouble last night, I sparred a taller guy with longer reach who had a good jab, who also switched stance a lot so orthodox/southpaw jabbing..I had real trouble getting at a range to land a good shot/combo. N it was a lot tiring trying to bob and weave in. he was also doing like Ali did and just sticking his arm out there, like kiltscho's too I believe? Is the answer to work on foot work to be able to weave under quick and land body shots? Or maybe slip outside and land straight...bloody awkward when he kept switching stance though! Any tips welcomed, thanks

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
    hi guys,
    had some trouble last night, I sparred a taller guy with longer reach who had a good jab, who also switched stance a lot so orthodox/southpaw jabbing..I had real trouble getting at a range to land a good shot/combo. N it was a lot tiring trying to bob and weave in. he was also doing like Ali did and just sticking his arm out there, like kiltscho's too I believe? Is the answer to work on foot work to be able to weave under quick and land body shots? Or maybe slip outside and land straight...bloody awkward when he kept switching stance though! Any tips welcomed, thanks
    The 1st drill in this video might help

Comment

What works best for me in these instances is to let him close the distance, and look to counter when he does.
      Last edited by ~AK49~; 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
        The 1st drill in this video might help
        Thanks...i try that slip..they make it look so easy, but in sparring it gets so messy in comparison! will keep trying tho!

Comment

Working...
        X