Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am torn as a Brit living in N America

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fans in the US are more intelligent. They realize the corruption in boxing makes it a fringe sport, while die hard boxing fans lament the latest terrible decision. (I gotta confess I'm a die hard fan :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
      There is no real way to measure it accurately - but it is pretty obvious that boxing is a bigger sport in the UK than it is in the US. Boxing seems to be as big there as any sport other than soccer (whichh I probably watch as much as you do lol).

I don't even really think there is any question about it, and to be honest I am not sure why some in the UK are offended by the suggestion. It is obvious.

Boxing is clearly bigger here than it is in the states, that’s not what’s being argued.
      What we get touchy about us when the standard US reply of “ but we have NBA, NFL etc, that’s why it isn’t as big “
      Our other sports are just as big, football is huge and Americans will never understand how big it is. Football is bigger than your big 3 combined in the grand scheme of things... but there’s still room for the rest

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Rounds again View Post
        We have football, the most popular sport in the world- as well as all our other sports cricket, rugby etc. You f****ng yanks think the world ends at your borders, the reality is it only begins there. You're a nation of self centered delusional insular twats. I'm almost rooting for Putin and his b***h Trump to grab another term - what used to be a great democracy is now a laughingstock of corruption.
        If u hate America so much go back to England, the land of ****ty weather, Bland food, bad teeth, and ugly women u ****ing douchbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchairhero View Post
          Boxing is clearly bigger here than it is in the states, that’s not what’s being argued.
          What we get touchy about us when the standard US reply of “ but we have NBA, NFL etc, that’s why it isn’t as big “
          Our other sports are just as big, football is huge and Americans will never understand how big it is. Football is bigger than your big 3 combined in the grand scheme of things... but there’s still room for the rest
          I think that is a bit of hyperbole ;0. I do love the EPL though, and the other top European leagues.

As I mentioned in another post I think one way of looking at it is this - not really what sports you watch but what sports you play when you're kids. When we are kids in the US, boys play soccer, baseball, basketball and football. To a lesser extent, hockey, tennis, golf, lacrosse, swimming, wrestling, martial arts (karate, etc, not boxing) and 'extreme sprorts' - skateboarding, snowboarding etc.

Off the top of my head I can think of a friend who has played one or more of those sports growing up. I can't think of one person I know of as a kid who grew up boxing.

I just feel like as kids in the UK, there are probably more kids who get into boxing there, as baseball and football are pretty much non-existent there, and basketball probably not a huge sport there for kids as it is here.

Not trying to be argumentative...just feel like the only big sport kids play there is soccer, which as you said is probably huge. And boxing seems to possibly be a secondary sport that some kids there actually get into.

Do you know any people who boxed when they were growing up?

Comment

bLACK AMERICAN, WHO'S GRAND FATHER SERVED, I also served, a black american would know more about racism than YOU. Trumps attorney would KNOW him better thAN YOU! Everyone KNOWS THAT MANS ATTORNEY KNOWS HIM BETTER THAN YOU common sense if common sense doesnt apply to you, of course you cant see the systematic racism

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Rounds again View Post
              We have football, the most popular sport in the world- as well as all our other sports cricket, rugby etc. You f****ng yanks think the world ends at your borders, the reality is it only begins there. You're a nation of self centered delusional insular twats. I'm almost rooting for Putin and his b***h Trump to grab another term - what used to be a great democracy is now a laughingstock of corruption.
              Calm down, Nigel.

My son in law is English now living in the US. Obviously soccer is his main sport by far, but he will watch any sport on TV. Took him to see Spence-Garcia and he had a good time mainly because of the beer.

Now I will explain to you why football is "the most popular sport in the world". Its because few malnourished, uncoordinated, poor persons in the third world cant afford the equipment for a proper sport, and because any malnourished, uncoordinated orphan who has zero eye to hand coordination can kick a ball through the mud in his village. The sport requires little physical skills and little strategic brains. (Note: I am not talking about professional athletes in pro leagues).

Football is number 1 in South America, Africa, and the Middle East right? How many olympic medals has Brasil won? Or Senegal? Or any other third country where football is "the most popular sport"? Not many.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe shmo View Post
                If u hate America so much go back to England, the land of ****ty weather, Bland food, bad teeth, and ugly women u ****ing douchbag.
                I don't live in America mate.
                Thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
                  Fans in the US are more intelligent. They realize the corruption in boxing makes it a fringe sport, while die hard boxing fans lament the latest terrible decision. (I gotta confess I'm a die hard fan :-)
                  LMAO no, You have some of the most idiotic fans blindly following everything Wilder says, then there was people saying the Cahrlo's where the future

Comment

To be fair we’re probably better sports fans than them add into the fact we’re a small island.

But obviously boxing ain’t mainstream here either.

We just love sport.

We’ll sell out 90,000 stadium for their fancy game of catch and nobody has a f.ucking clue what is happening
                    Last edited by Sparked_26; 05-12-2019, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Duh, it's the Bell Curve, with 300 million people, we have more idiot fans, but we also have more intelligent ones too. :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X