No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Top Rank on ESPN Draws Big Rating For Fresno Doubleheader

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardt View Post
    Some had thought other low ratings for TV boxing shows was due to the fact that there were no big names.....but none of these names last night were big, yet the ratings were high. Part of that could be attributed to the fact that ESPN is basic cable, and showtime and hbo are not. Regardless, Lom vs Rigo proves that ESPN can out on some top notch boxing shows.

sad to say, espn isn't basic cable, at least not on comcast, the nation's biggest cable provider.

they also followed a massive college football game, which explains why the ratings would look good. bunch of casual meatheads watching college kids play football stuck around to watch guys hit each other and "hope somebody gets knocked out!"

Comment

Originally posted by jjsmyth87 View Post
      Dont spread false information on here like that, it was announced a couple months ago Espn signed top rank to a 4 year deal with 18 cards in the 1st year alone. Im sure theyre paying big money if top rank left Hbo and signed exclusively with Espn. 18 cards is a lot for one promoter, I doubt Pbc had 18 cards on t.v. and they have double the fighters
      Big money???? Highly doubtful.

Combined purses for the four televised fighters was just $400K ($85K main event and $315K co-feature). That's way lower than what fighters get for Showtime or HBO fights, and there's no way that ESPN is paying the $2-3M license fees that Showtime and HBO are paying.

Comment

Yeah it got a boost from the College Game that was on before it but regardless that is good! People who watched was impressed with Ramirez I'm sure. It truly felt like a star was born watching that event and the crazy energy in Fresno and the support that Jose received.

Will be interesting to see HBO's rating which was going head to head

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
          Big money???? Highly doubtful.

Combined purses for the four televised fighters was just $400K ($85K main event and $315K co-feature). That's way lower than what fighters get for Showtime or HBO fights, and there's no way that ESPN is paying the $2-3M license fees that Showtime and HBO are paying.
          They're paying for more than just individual fights. They got the TR library and OTT (streaming) content.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            sad to say, espn isn't basic cable, at least not on comcast, the nation's biggest cable provider.

they also followed a massive college football game, which explains why the ratings would look good. bunch of casual meatheads watching college kids play football stuck around to watch guys hit each other and "hope somebody gets knocked out!"
            My provider charges me like 15 bucks a month for Showtime and 15 bucks a month for HBO but ESPN is part of the sports package which includes many channels so I dont see it as a premium channel like the overpriced Showtime and HBO. But I would question if the ratings were due to a game before hand although it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
              My provider charges me like 15 bucks a month for Showtime and 15 bucks a month for HBO but ESPN is part of the sports package which includes many channels so I dont see it as a premium channel like the overpriced Showtime and HBO. But I would question if the ratings were due to a game before hand although it is possible.

the popularity of programming prior to a slot is one of the key indicators to performance during a time slot. age old tactic in TV; put a new program, or one you're trying to market or give a leg up, after a tried and true, well rated program, like college football.

and yes, espn isn't "premium cable" where you pay extra, or extra for a package of other premium channels, but it's not in your basic cable package. at least it is not in mine. it's usually bundled into a "sports" package, or just a more expensive package of cable channels.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gitano View Post
                You were there? I was there too. Found it funny how the crowd cheered when they announced the last round of the boring Beterbiev fight - happy it was ending.
                Yea I was there, I was looking foward to the co-main event,, Beterbiev didnt look like such a monster in person, he had no explosiveness. I wana see Jose Ramirez vs Antonio Orozco

Comment

I watched this card rather than the HBO card.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                    I think espn signed a long term deal with top rank, top ranks home is now espn, similar to ufc deal with fox.
                    Right, but HBO was paying top dollar to feature the Top Rank fights that they broadcasted. ESPN has never paid for fights. That's why Friday Night Fights rarely featured household names. I'm just curious how much these fighters are making now that their bouts are featured on ESPN instead of HBO. A lot of fighters will be happy to have the opportunity to be fighting on television more regularly, but are they making the same, more, or less than they were on HBO? Is this partnership going to start-off strong and then slowly fade away like PBC is doing?

Comment

Working...
                    X