Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where the hell does Kovalevs power come from???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people just have heavy hands. I don't think there's really any way to explain it. You're just born to crack. Technique can help, but only so much. Most power you're just born with.

Comment

I always say if Manny Pacquiao was a conventional fighter he'd be Kovalev, minus the head movement and footwork of course.. Kovalev has speed and the force that produces the impact...the angles too in which he attacks.

Comment

Much of a fighter's punching power comes from the tendons and ligaments. By doing bodyweight exercises such as pull-ups, push-ups, dips, and plyometrics you develop the tendons and ligaments that deliver much of your power. You also have to have proper form and technique as others have mentioned. Some fighters, no matter how strong they are, cannot learn how to get the most torque on their punches.

Comment

He's what I always defined as "structural power". The relation between every joint that is actively involved with a punch, he keeps closely aligned. All in the correct order without one joint getting too far ahead (or behind). Very good relationship in his kinetic chain, it's very firm. That's why his punches are more dense than they are snappy. Especially his straight right hand and inverted jab. Jack Dempsey explained this with his power-line theory. In relation to his straight right, the difference between how he throws it compared to others is he keeps his shoulder behind the punch throughout the entirety of the extension.

To make it easier to explain, imagine you're hitting mitts... You and your mittholder are both orthodox. Instead of throwing the straight right toward their right mitt (across the body), the impact point would actually be closer to their left mitt (directly ahead of the right shoulder).

Now obviously this is probably not how people hold mitts for him, and this is all more theory than anything.

You also have to take into account that Kovalev is very proficient at catching people at the extension of his punches (all while maintaining mostly good balance and posture), which is more of a skill thing.

Comment

Ward, Chilemba, Hopkins all go the distance and all get hit hard too!
            Other than Pascal who I don't think is a high caliber talent who has Koval actually stopped?
            The few guys he fought that were "undefeated" never fought anyone before or after him! Cleverly, Agnew???? Really!

I think Koval has strength, I think he has good power but I also think he is not a huge puncher. When he hits the ring he is a 190 pound lightheavy (175) and after 8 rounds he has no KO's or tko's!

Bottom line he has fought 3 or 4 good opponents and stopped one of them twice! (Pascal)
            Hopkins was 67 years old and he couldn't get him out.
            He dropped Ward but wasn't really effective after that, not enough to dominate.

I don't see this guy as a "boogeyman" puncher, he is strong and when he relaxes he has decent form but he also reaches a lot and doesn't get in close behind his jab to be a harder more effective puncher.

3 or 4 good opponents doesn't say much about his power!

Ray

Comment

Working...
            X