No announcement yet.

Penn gave Diaz a very good fight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn gave Diaz a very good fight!

But what if Nick fought a pre-Edgar Penn fighter. You think it is still the same result?
    Last edited by led; 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM.

Originally posted by led View Post
    But what if Nick fought a pre-Edgar Penn fighter. You think it is still the same result?
    Interesting question. Penn never amazed me at 170. He was solid at 170, but, he wasn't the fearsome force that he was at lightweight.

B.J's workrate and the fact that he was the smaller guy, those two things made him made to order for someone like Diaz.

To answer the thread question, nah, I don't think that version of B.J. would've beaten Diaz, outside of a puncher's chance

B.J's standup has never really significantly imroved through the years. How the f**k did he not have an answer for Diaz's pawing lazy jabs.

Comment

Hell no Penn been washed up for a long time now. You can tell by his mobility being so much less than it once was. Diaz is so grossly overrated though it's funny. When GSP pulls an easy GSP victory against Diaz people will be crying foul. For this one fight I would love to see GSP really try his best to hurt a guy. Never liked Diaz big mouth and crappy attitude.

Comment

Yes. I have always loved diaz but I didn't think he would have advanced enough to beat a top 5 ww like when he last was there but he showed the world solid boxing training with pro boxers, reach and range can take u to the top in mma. I thought Penn was a better boxer but diaz He's legit and all those things plus his bjj and cardio will give gsp huge problems and where him down just like bj. Diaz and Edgar beat any bj because bj has always had the same problem. Edgar wore him out with speed and diaz with reach and cardio. With excellent striking that wore bj down instead of him wearing them down like every other opponent he whopped.

Diaz right now at this level is terrible match up for Penn. And for gsp too since diaz pace on the feet and on the ground the way he keeps attacking with put gsp in all kinds of risky spots.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Sting View Post

B.J's standup has never really significantly imroved through the years. How the f**k did he not have an answer for Diaz's pawing lazy jabs.
          What? Penn's defense in Penn's stand up is his chin.

Originally posted by Boxingtech718v2 View Post
          Hell no Penn been washed up for a long time now. You can tell by his mobility being so much less than it once was. Diaz is so grossly overrated though it's funny. When GSP pulls an easy GSP victory against Diaz people will be crying foul. For this one fight I would love to see GSP really try his best to hurt a guy. Never liked Diaz big mouth and crappy attitude.
          It OT. but yes, Diaz is kinda overrated to say he will beat GSP. As I said Diaz's defense is his chin (see his fight against Cyborg lol). GSP wont go for knockdown but a takedown.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
            Yes. I have always loved diaz but I didn't think he would have advanced enough to beat a top 5 ww like when he last was there but he showed the world solid boxing training with pro boxers, reach and range can take u to the top in mma. I thought Penn was a better boxer but diaz He's legit and all those things plus his bjj and cardio will give gsp huge problems and where him down just like bj. Diaz and Edgar beat any bj because bj has always had the same problem. Edgar wore him out with speed and diaz with reach and cardio. With excellent striking that wore bj down instead of him wearing them down like every other opponent he whopped.

Diaz right now at this level is terrible match up for Penn. And for gsp too since diaz pace on the feet and on the ground the way he keeps attacking with put gsp in all kinds of risky spots.
            GSP again? I dont see GSP fighting fighting toe-to-toe against Diaz. Also, Diaz is a good striker. But his defense especially against leg kicks...IDK.

Comment

Diaz is just all wrong stylistically for a guy like Penn.

Penn has good boxing and BJJ, but Diaz happens to be better at both. Not to mention the huge difference in gas tanks and workrate.

A prime Penn would have looked just as bad against Diaz.

If they fought at 155, it would of been more competitive especially in the early rounds, but Diaz would have still put a beating on him.

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
                GSP again? I dont see GSP fighting fighting toe-to-toe against Diaz. Also, Diaz is a good striker. But his defense especially against leg kicks...IDK.
                The thing is gsp has never fought anybody like diaz before with his reach and height except the closest would be fitch who's lengthy to but gsp is a bigger was baddet version of fitch tho fitch is more exciting then gsp currently imo but diaz is a much better boxer and yeah gsp could try leg kicks but that means being in striking range for diaz long arms to punch him. And gsp has never fought somebody as good as diaz off his back. I'd say in straight bjj bj and shields would outgrapple diaz, but in mma on their backs bj and shields aren't as good off their backs as they are dominant on top. Where diaz isn't a top guy he keeps attacking with submissions from bottom still making gsp work out of them if hes on top. And diaz has them longs arms and legs which will make them much harder to fight out of
                Diaz won't fold or wear down after 3 rounds either he'll be going the same pace nonstop attacking on the feet and ground for 5 rounds so really the question is can gsp survive diaz punches on thee feet and nonstop submission attempts for 5 rounds while keeping dominant positions and hoping that's enough. Chance are I think hell get caught eventually. .

Comment

The whole time the fight was going on I kept thinking about Frankie. It'd be a real treat to see Frankie take on Nick. Open weight. Won't never happen, but stylistically it'd be interesting, and dramatically it'd be intensely exciting. ....ah Pride....

I'm not sure a prime BJ loses. I'm not saying he wins, but wouldn't a tired prime BJ have more then a tired old BJ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                    The thing is gsp has never fought anybody like diaz before with his reach and height except the closest would be fitch who's lengthy to but gsp is a bigger was baddet version of fitch tho fitch is more exciting then gsp currently imo but diaz is a much better boxer and yeah gsp could try leg kicks but that means being in striking range for diaz long arms to punch him. And gsp has never fought somebody as good as diaz off his back. I'd say in straight bjj bj and shields would outgrapple diaz, but in mma on their backs bj and shields aren't as good off their backs as they are dominant on top. Where diaz isn't a top guy he keeps attacking with submissions from bottom still making gsp work out of them if hes on top. And diaz has them longs arms and legs which will make them much harder to fight out of
                    Diaz won't fold or wear down after 3 rounds either he'll be going the same pace nonstop attacking on the feet and ground for 5 rounds so really the question is can gsp survive diaz punches on thee feet and nonstop submission attempts for 5 rounds while keeping dominant positions and hoping that's enough. Chance are I think hell get caught eventually. .
                    Cyborg Santos is 5.10 (i suppose) and he gave Diaz some trouble. Anyway, I dont discount Diaz its just I gave GSP the edge over him.

Comment

Working...
                    X