Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which middleweights would you pick to beat 1951 Robinson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which middleweights would you pick to beat 1951 Robinson?

Just a thread to see which middleweights you would pick to beat the best version of middleweight Robinson. Mine would be possibly Greb

I'd pick Monzon to beat him over anyone else, personally.

Comment

Randy Turpin could have split with him.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        I'd pick Monzon to beat him over anyone else, personally.
        Would Robinson's superior speed, movement and jab not cause too much trouble for Monzon?

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
          Would Robinson's superior speed, movement and jab not cause too much trouble for Monzon?
          Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying Robinson's jab is superior to Monzon's?

And no, he would outbox him.

Bigger, stronger, keep it on the outside and beat him to the punch.

Comment

Robinson vs Monzon would be a hell of a fight. On their best night I'd put my cash on Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying Robinson's jab is superior to Monzon's?

And no, he would outbox him.

Bigger, stronger, keep it on the outside and beat him to the punch.
              Lol I was scared you would misinterpret that, no I wasn't I was just talking about Robinsons jab

Comment

The first that comes to mind is Gene Fullmer, Fullmer was ridiculously strong and just as determined. His skill level was no where near Sugarmans but his determination was equal. This guy was very difficult to fight style wise and had a huge heart. The second would be Stan Harrington who I met and knew of him prior to meeting him because he fought a friend of my family a few times, Gaspar Ortega. Harrington was another extremely tuff man who could take and loved to give. I think he was a southpaw and a legit lefthander at that. These fellows knew they were fighting a legend and they were very determined against Sugarman. You have to throw Basillo in there because hes one the bravest boxers of all time I met people who knew him and they told me the guy would fight a lion, he was an incredible man outside the ring a real gentleman. You can say Turpin and Jake but honestly they really weren't capable of coming close to winning a series against him. Monson is a favorite of mine and would be a bigger opponent for sure in body type but Sugar at his best had to much to offer against him or anyone. Hes not the only great fighter and loosing isn't the end of the world when you fight all comers but Sugar Ray Robinson was in a class by himself. Ray

Comment

Monzon and Hagler can both beat him. Hagler having more difficulty due to Robinson's lateral movement.

No even commenting on Greb, who knows. For my money Robinson would win.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Monzon and Hagler can both beat him. Hagler having more difficulty due to Robinson's lateral movement.

No even commenting on Greb, who knows. For my money Robinson would win.
                    Hagler would probably have the easier night. Robinson had good lateral movement much like ARL but he was still a fair bit easier to hit. SRL threw short punches, often straight and had quicker hands. SRR was tough and it would be a war, with Hagler winning it imo.

As for Monzon, I don't see him beating ray imo.

Comment

Working...
                    X