• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH1 declares Public Enemy's 'Fight the Power' the best rap single ever

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/61727097

VH1 crowns 'Fight the Power' as best hip-hop song

09/24/2008 9:00 AM, AP

Let the debates begin: VH1 has compiled its list of the 100 greatest hip-hop songs, and Public Enemy's black power anthem "Fight the Power" tops the list.

Public Enemy
    News

Rating affects your music played in LAUNCHcast and Music Videos.
    Your Artist Rating:

Why Rate?

VH1 crowns 'Fight the Power' as best hip-hop song

09/24/2008 9:00 AM, AP

Let the debates begin: VH1 has compiled its list of the 100 greatest hip-hop songs, and Public Enemy's black power anthem "Fight the Power" tops the list.

The cable channel will count down its list in series of shows starting Monday. At No. 2 is the Sugar Hill Gang's groundbreaking song, "Rapper's Delight," followed by Dr. Dre's "Nuthin but a 'G' Thang" at No. 3. Run-D.M.C.'s "Walk This Way" with Aerosmith and Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five's "The Message" round out the top five.
    Salt 'N Pepa was the only female act in the top 10, with their early hit "Push It." Two of rap's biggest names — Jay-Z and Eminem — didn't make the top 10, though they are in the top 20.

Other acts on the list include the Notorious B.I.G., Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Biz Markie, Black Sheep and J.J. Fad.

The list comes as VH1 prepares to honor the pioneers in rap once again as part of its annual Hip-Hop Honors show, which this year celebrates Slick Rick, De La Soul, Cypress Hill, Naughty by Nature and Too Short. That show airs Oct. 6.

___

VH1 is owned by Viacom.

No problem with that, great song

Comment

"elvis, was a hero to most, but he never meant **** to me"
      that's real.and i listen to elvis.

Comment

I'll have a look at the complete list later, but 'Fight The Power' in my opinion is top 10.

Flash's 'The Message' is the greatest hip hop song of all-time, and should remain there.

Comment

Walk This Way is so overrated. Of course you always have to overrate stuff based on impact. Still as a song, it's just annoying to me. Rock Box is much better.

Comment

Good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
              Walk This Way is so overrated. Of course you always have to overrate stuff based on impact. Still as a song, it's just annoying to me. Rock Box is much better.

Finally, someone else says it. I never liked that song from the moment it came out. To me, it felt like Run DMC was selling out when they made it. I have a lot of respect for them, but that is one of my least favorite rap songs of all time.

But I have no problem with "Fight the Power" at #1.

Comment

Working...
              X