Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My top five boxing trainers interested to hear yours?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My top five boxing trainers interested to hear yours?

The best top five boxing trainers in my view are below. It is based on their contributions and legacy in the game.
    1. Angelo Dundee
    2. Eddie Futch
    3. Ray Arcel
    4. Emanuel Steward
    5. Nacho Beristain

Originally posted by HarryBoy01 View Post
    The best top five boxing trainers in my view are below. It is based on their contributions and legacy in the game.
    1. Angelo Dundee
    2. Eddie Futch
    3. Ray Arcel
    4. Emanuel Steward
    5. Nacho Beristain
    I might move them around a little but pretty hard to argue with that list.

Mine:
    1. Beristain
    2. Futch
    3. Stewart
    4. Arcel
    5. Dundee

Comment

1 Willie Reddish
      2 George Gainsford
      3 Jack Blackburn
      4 Cus D'matto
      5 Charlie Goldman
      6 Ray Arcel
      7 Manny Steward
      8 Angelo Dundee
      9 Eddie Futch
      10 Lou Duva

Comment

Muhammad Ali pretty much trained himself! Angelo Dundee was more of head coach for Muhammad Ali, which is still a great skill!

Comment

"Muhammad Ali pretty much trained himself! Angelo Dundee was more of head coach"..............
          After the exile Ali called the shots regarding his training camp routines and when and where the work would be done.
          Prior to that Dundee was in charge of ALL his training and trained him in the gym and was in charge! Dundee helped Ali develop his style from watching Sugar Ray Robinson and Willie Pastrano who Dundee trained & managed and was a stablemate to a young Ali.
          Ali had the huge opportunity to spar with Willie and learn first hand what dividends lateral movement afforded a boxer who could punch off movement and be able to use it defensively too.

Ali brought the leaning away and dropping his hands but everything else is from Sugarman & Willie with Dundee's guidance
          on hand daily in Ali's youth.
          The misnomer that Angelo was just a motivator and evaluator is
          not true. Angelo knew distance and combinations inside and out.
          You can't get corner man gigs without knowing how to train.
          He was also an excellent cutman who taught many future cutmen how to deal with saving rounds.

Ray

For me training in the Modern Era starts with Mr. Blackburn. Everyone else has Blackburn in their minds even some who don't even know it!
          Last edited by Ray Corso; 02-28-2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

No mention of Sarria helping to train Ali ?, when Ali was in the same stable as Rodriguez, Napoles and the like Dundee worked as a translator for Sarria (Trainer as well obviously, but Sarria had a huge impact on all of the boxers) and that's where Ali learned alot of his trade, from watchin Rodriguez, whom he idolized while they were in camp together and from listening to Sarria.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryBoy01 View Post
              1. Angelo Dundee
              2. Eddie Futch
              3. Ray Arcel
              4. Emanuel Steward
              5. Nacho Beristain
              I'd probs have cus instead of nacho but otherwise a perfect list...or one completely in agreement with me lol

Dundee and Futch, by the end of their lives, were probably the two most knowledgeable men on fighters.

Comment

Chappie Blackburn
                Whitey Bimstein
                Ray Arcel
                Cus D'Amato
                Eddie Futch

Comment

Not saying top ten or not but Duva and the man behind the scenes Georgie Benton turned out a few great fighters. Holyfield, Whitaker, etc.
                  Arum, despite what is said here, and Futch. Not to forget Steward.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                    Not saying top ten or not but Duva and the man behind the scenes Georgie Benton turned out a few great fighters. Holyfield, Whitaker, etc.
                    Arum, despite what is said here, and Futch. Not to forget Steward.
                    We... including myself, tend to look at the accomplishments of trainers the last few decades. There were many from the 1920's through the 1960's that will be overlooked

Comment

Working...
                    X