Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time does Ward have before being stripped of his title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time does Ward have before being stripped of his title?

Has it been 1 year yet?
    Is there some loophole, where mandatory defenses are postponed due to legal battles?

Interesting situation.

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
    Has it been 1 year yet?
    Is there some loophole, where mandatory defenses are postponed due to legal battles?

Interesting situation.
    I believe November 16th, That is the date he last fought on I believe

Comment

if he goes a year without fighting, i'll drop him from my p4p list. he's still the champion t 168, in my eyes. he'd have to be out for a while.

this is a special case. the only clear cut #1 contender is froch, who he pounded already, and who will not fight him again.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        if he goes a year without fighting, i'll drop him from my p4p list. he's still the champion t 168, in my eyes. he'd have to be out for a while.

this is a special case. the only clear cut #1 contender is froch, who he pounded already, and who will not fight him again.
        Yes of course, he beat Froch, hes number 1. However Im wondering about the rules related to keeping a belt, I remember cases like when Martinez got stripped even though he was active by one of the sanctioning bodies. And without a belt Ward would really be shooting himself in the foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
          Yes of course, he beat Froch, hes number 1. However Im wondering about the rules related to keeping a belt, I remember cases like when Martinez got stripped even though he was active by one of the sanctioning bodies. And without a belt Ward would really be shooting himself in the foot.

everybody will still recognize him as the best SMW in the world, at least for another several months after a year of inactivity. he'll still draw in oakland when he gets back, and HBO will probably still pay him around two million bucks to fight a shlub.

generally, sanctioning bodies give a year of inactivity without a fight scheduled before they decide to strip a fighter. some of the sanctioning bodies make a "champion emeritus," which allows a fighter to fight for the title he used to have immediately upon return.

i don't give a f#ck about the belts any longer, including ring magazine's. ring mag is owned by a freaking promotor.

Comment

He's been out for a over a year in the past and wasn't stripped so I don't know if he'll get stripped this time either.

Comment

It is a good point to raise wether or not being stripped of the title due to inactivity is given consideration where there are legal battles concerned, but in Wards case with or without a belt he will still be seen as the champ. He is widely regarded as the best in the division, having a belt stripped soon wouldnt harm his career much in the eyes of most people I do not think. He would probably win one back almost right away anyway.

Comment

I don't think being stripped is going to be that big of a deal for Ward as HBO are going to back him anyway. He real just needs to get this Goossen stuff sorted and worry about the rest later.

By the time he's back maybe Kovalev will be his best option anyway.

Comment

I thought he had been stripped and given the Emeritus title? Hense why Anthony Dirrell now holds the regular version?

Comment

WBA need to take his belt give to Froch , then have Chudinov & Gilberto Ramirez fight for Froch belt

Comment

Working...
                    X