Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lakeith Smith Gets 65 Years for Death of 16-Year-Old Killed by Police

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Lakeith Smith Gets 65 Years for Death of 16-Year-Old Killed by Police

Lakeith Smith Gets 65 Years for Death of 16-Year-Old Killed by Police

Lakeith Smith
    Screenshot: WSFA-TV

Much has been made of the fact that a black teenager laughed openly in court before being sentenced to 65 years in prison.

But the brutal truth of it is that this kid embodies the tragedy of criminal justice in America today, certainly no laughing matter to those destroyed by it.

In early March, Lakeith Smith, 18, was convicted of felony murder, burglary and theft for helping in the 2015 break-ins of two homes in Millbrook, Ala.

Smith was only 15 years old when he and a group of cohorts were confronted by police after being accused of breaking and entering.
    His friend, A’Donte Washington, was killed by police that night, shot four times for allegedly brandishing a gun.

Yet under Alabama’s accomplice liability law, Smith was not only tried as an adult but also charged in A’Donte’s death, even though it was a cop’s bullet that ended the 16-year-old’s life.

A grand jury found the still-unnamed officer justified in the killing.
    On Thursday, Judge Sibley Reynolds of Alabama’s 19th Circuit Court hit Smith with 30 years for murder, 15 years for burglary and 10 years each for two theft convictions, to be served consecutively.

USA Today reports that Smith did not take a plea offer of 25 years, and after losing at trial, he received the heavy penalty.

The prosecutor has made public comments that Smith smiled and laughed throughout the sentencing, and the judge seemed incensed that the teen didn’t seem appropriately sorry.

“I don’t think Mr. Smith will be smiling long when he gets to prison,” District Attorney C.J. Robinson said. “We are very pleased with this sentence. Because the sentences are consecutive, it will be a long time before he comes up for even the possibility for parole, at least 20 to 25 years.”

But Smith’s lawyer, Jennifer Holton, had another take.

“The officer shot A’Donte, not Lakeith Smith,” she countered. “Lakeith was a 15-year-old child, scared to death. He did not participate in the act that caused the death of A’Donte. He never shot anybody.”

Sometimes we wear the mask. Sometimes we laugh so as not to weep.

https://www.theroot.com/alabama-teen...d-b-1825071334

Damn, he looks just like Terrance Crawford!

Anyways, although I dont agree with the kid laughing because its no laughing matter. I have always found those laws that basically charge you with murder in an accomplice liability" case to be extreme especially a 65 year sentence.

Comment

The sad part is he will only serve like 20 then be back on the streets

Comment

he dont look too bothered by this.

However back to the subject I think that liability law should only apply to actions by civilians not cops.

How are you gonna charge a suspect for what a cop does?

hell a racist cop can show up and murders 4 black kids and the surviving kids will be doing the time and not the cop.

Comment

Bum deal, but he doesn't appear to have any remorse or willingness to change. Could just be posturing and perhaps the reality of a 65 year sentence hasn't fully sunk in. He probably wasn't going to turn himself around and likely would have been a repeat offender. But at 15, we have all done stupid things. I don't think he should have been charged with the death of his friend merely for being an accomplice in a robbery. That is too extreme. But, people need to be aware of the laws before they choose to break them. Doubt this will deter anyone else from making the wrong choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            Anyways, although I dont agree with the kid laughing because its no laughing matter. I have always found those laws that basically charge you with murder in an accomplice liability" case to be extreme especially a 65 year sentence.
            Yea that sh^t don't make no sense. I'm all for punishing people who do wrong sh^t, but I don't believe anyone who didn't kill someone should have a murder charge on their records cuz who's really paying attention to this sh^t either way. People just wanna see this kid go to prison for as long as possible like with most other criminals

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              Bum deal, but he doesn't appear to have any remorse or willingness to change. Could just be posturing and perhaps the reality of a 65 year sentence hasn't fully sunk in.
              Did you watch more of this case or something? I'd be surprised if a guy who's friend was murdered by the cops because of their string of robberies doesn't have remorse. Where that is at who knows cuz he's still a young dude who's into doing bad sh^t so he could be highly immature with this sh^t still like plenty would be.

The LOLing at getting 65yrs is likely a legit laugh doe cuz I think I'd find it on a dark humor tip to think I'm doing 65yrs for a robbery cuz you guys killed my friend & on some bs law threw that body at me. Its an insane law. I bet a lot of people in a sh^tty world could find humor in it rightly or wrongly.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Did you watch more of this case or something? I'd be surprised if a guy who's friend was murdered by the cops because of their string of robberies doesn't have remorse. Where that is at who knows cuz he's still a young dude who's into doing bad sh^t so he could be highly immature with this sh^t still like plenty would be.

The LOLing at getting 65yrs is likely a legit laugh doe cuz I think I'd find it on a dark humor tip to think I'm doing 65yrs for a robbery cuz you guys killed my friend & on some bs law threw that body at me. Its an insane law. I bet a lot of people in a sh^tty world could find humor in it rightly or wrongly.
                From what little I read about it, he could have bargained for a 25 year sentence (still too harsh) but whatever deal he turned down ended up with the 65 year sentence. Either way, if you're chuckling about a 65 year sentence, then you're likely not phased by a lot of things, to include how your life choices impact the lives of others to include your own.

Comment

Another extension of the prison industrial complex. Who gives a f-ck if he laughed? Alabama is being allowed to stock its prisons for years with "accomplices" who didn't commit murders. Are we going to focus on that, or some kid laughing FFS?

This law is inhumane. The state tried a 15 yr old kid that didn't kill his friend as an adult murderer. Any of you with one iota of common sense can see exactly what this law is designed for and how prosecutors, roughly 90% white in Alabama, will apply it.

How is this possible?

Comment

He was gonna find himself in jail anyway

Comment

Working...
                    X